TZ-30 tremolo block replacement options - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By LonePhantom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

TZ-30 tremolo block replacement options

I have an Ibanez SCR220 which could use a new tremolo block for its TZ-30 bridge. Here is some information about the bridge: TZ-30 | Ibanez Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
The TZ-30 was on other Ibanez models and has a heritage starting with the TZ-II/TZ-6 all the way up to the SynchroniZR bridge which I am not very familiar with. Additionally, taken directly from the link: "The TZ-30 employs a non-locking, double pivot design which is reminiscent of early Fender tremolos."

My gut tells me looking for the block off a TZ-30 is probably not going to yield much. Fender replacement parts seem to be readily available. If someone happens to have a TZ-30 lying around, I would be interested, but I feel I might have more luck with Fender or the multitude of generic Fender parts on the market. If anyone has any experience with anything remotely relating to this thread, please chime in. I understand it is hard to be interested in a guitar most people have never heard of, much less the tremolo block for the bridge on that particular guitar, but if you have a solution, please share! If you were in my situation, what would you do? You never know what other people know until you ask or present a situation someone has already gone through. With that said, I do wish it was a less random problem on a more common guitar. Thank you for any help you can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:08 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: TZ-30 tremolo block replacement options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I have an Ibanez SCR220 which could use a new tremolo block for its TZ-30 bridge.
What is wrong with the existing tremolo block?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
What is wrong with the existing tremolo block?
The section where the tremolo bar screws in broke apart. I think the tremolo bar would press against the side of the tremolo block every time I used it causing that section of the block to eventually break apart. The tremolo still works normally so it took me awhile to figure this out.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Reviews: 120

can you get the post spacing for the bridge? There may very well be a viable option from Gotoh, Wilkinson, et al, that could be a drop-in replacement.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
can you get the post spacing for the bridge? There may very well be a viable option from Gotoh, Wilkinson, et al, that could be a drop-in replacement.
Does 55mm sound like it makes sense? I measured from the center of each post.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Does 55mm sound like it makes sense? I measured from the center of each post.
I'd probably just upgrade the whole unit then, based on those measurements/ I wonder if a gotoh unit with 56mm spacing, for example would work for you:
Tremolo 510 Series | Product Categories | G-GOTOH Ltd.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
I'd probably just upgrade the whole unit then, based on those measurements/ I wonder if a gotoh unit with 56mm spacing, for example would work for you:
Tremolo 510 Series | Product Categories | G-GOTOH Ltd.
I'm pretty sure one of these would be a direct replacement, more or less. Thank you for the link! I would rather not replace the whole bridge but now I know where to go if it comes to that.

Looking back, when I found the pieces of the tremolo block that had broken off, I thought they were made of plaster or concrete of some type because that is what the material looked and felt like. Knowing guitars are not made from either of these materials, plus the fact everything worked just as it had before I found the pieces, I decided to file it away in the "that's odd" folder of my memory. What exactly is the tremolo block made out of? Even without a picture, I imagine an educated guess would be an accurate guess.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:49 AM

I'd say it would be similar to the Ibanez bridges, in that its some mystery, soft pot metal alloy. To just replace the block you're going to need to do a bunch of measurements and see if anything on the market matches the specs of your block. They may or may not be "standard size" as it were.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

I spoke with my guitar tech today. The situation does not seem favorable. Thank you for your help Lone Phantom! I never thought a block of metal would be quite so complex.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I spoke with my guitar tech today. The situation does not seem favorable. Thank you for your help Lone Phantom! I never thought a block of metal would be quite so complex.
No worries, just go for the bridge change. It'll likely be the simplest thing, and may even improve the tone

Tags
ibanez scr220

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode