Unequal screw length for AANJ? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Unequal screw length for AANJ?

Hi,
I'm working on a neck switch for an older Radius with an AANJ (a 1993 540R LTD). When I removed the old neck, I noticed that one of the 4 screws was longer than the other three. I carefully laid them out so I wouldn't mix them up, but my 2-year old took care of that. Anyway, I figured I'd just check the hole depth later and figure it out, but it turns out that there are 2 long holes and 2 short holes. So then I figured I'd check another AANJ guitar to determine which hole took the longer screw, but on my S540, all 4 screws are the same length. Does anyone know which of the 4 neck holes is supposed to be the long one? Perhaps they only did this on early AANJ guitars?
Thanks,
Bert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:31 AM

The safest place is rear bass side. Listen for a cracking sound as you slowly screw it in. You should be able to feel it bottom out if it's not the right hole.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:55 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
yup, what frank said.

often the two screws closer to the bridge are a bit longer than the two closer to the neck since the body is a bit thicker there... glen
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2004, 10:56 AM

Too much risk. Don't use the body.

So, I'll take it...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the help. You guys have all the answers. What a resource this site is!

So, the new hole locations are marked on the neck. The 1/8" bit is mounted in the drill press. The depth gauge is set. I'm ready to drill. My finger is on the button, and...

too scary, gotta go have a beer or something. Better do it later.

Bert
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 07:44 PM

Hey stratoskier, how did it turn out? Do you now have a js neck on it or what?
Sorry for bringing that old thread back up, but this is just TOO interesting
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Yup, I reshaped the JS1000 neck to the AANJ profile (not particularly hard actually), and it's mounted on the 540R body. So I now have a H-S-H Jewel Blue Radius with an AANJ JS1000 neck, and cosmo black hardware including a LoPro. It's pretty much my ideal JS series. I'm really pleased with it. For now, it still has the original F1-C3-F1 pickups. I was planning on replacing those with the usual Fred/PAF Pro combo, but these are actually very versatile, nice sounding pups, and I may just leave them in. I'll post some pictures if I get the camera happening again.
Bert

Tags
cosmo black hardware , paf pro , paf pro combo , pro combo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode