Unstopable fret buzz - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2011, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Unstopable fret buzz

Im going insane. I have an RG321MH and I cant get rid of this buzz. Its going on all through the bottom three strings mostly on the E and A it stops high up on the neck but its just a slight buzz but loud enough to hear through the amp. Ive dressed the frets and checked them time and time again, they are definetaly level. Ive tried everything, raised the action, shimmed the nut that I filed down, and given it tones of relief. cant figure it out. I was thinking it might be the slots on the nut since Im running 11-54's, I dont know any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM

Re: Unstopable fret buzz

This is the problem with trying to handle tech work yourself. Replacing a pickup or switch, the novice can do, but fret and nut work? You guys crack me up trying that when you have no clue what it is you are doing. You have done more damage than good. Take it to a good luthier and pay him more to undo your mistakes than it would have cost to just have it fixed in the first place.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Vendor

Way to slam the noobs......

If the buzz is even the fretwork is probably clean. Buzz has as much to do with you and the way it's setup as anything else. Ifr you pick too hard, or with poor technique, or too sloppy for the setup, you'll never get rid of the buzz, until you change you, or the setup. Strings also have alot to do with it, try a set of DR Tite Fits which buzz about 1/2 as much as a set of D'Addario's.

Or change the setup until it cleans up enough for you and get used to playing it that way. If the fretwork is true there is no magic cure for buzz.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOrocks View Post
Im going insane. I have an RG321MH and I cant get rid of this buzz. Its going on all through the bottom three strings mostly on the E and A it stops high up on the neck but its just a slight buzz but loud enough to hear through the amp. Ive dressed the frets and checked them time and time again, they are definetaly level. Ive tried everything, raised the action, shimmed the nut that I filed down, and given it tones of relief. cant figure it out. I was thinking it might be the slots on the nut since Im running 11-54's, I dont know any help would be appreciated.
Regardless of what anyone says, you learn by trying. There is no magic behind it but it does take time and practice. I commend you for having the balls to try!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:44 PM

I don't normally give advice anymore but make sure your pickups are not too close to the strings. It won't cause "buzz" but will not give a clean sound if they are too close.

I have helped folks locally that thought they had bad frets and they just had the pickups too close the strings.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Reviews: 4

Does the note rings after buzzing? If i does, it's not really buzzing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

Its sounds just like the truss rodd doesn't have enough relief but no matter how much relief I give it it doesnt go away. Its frustrating, I realistic about my action but its not working. Ive dressed the frets on my fender and an old epiphone 12 string acoustic and they came out great cant figure this Ibanez out.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Vendor

Fret the first and the last fret and look at the gap at the 9th. How much relief does it have?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 02:00 AM

Reviews: 1

A bottle of Jack Daniels and a baseball bat once fixed my fret buzz. Sometimes a guitar is just not meant to be.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Strings also have alot to do with it, try a set of DR Tite Fits which buzz about 1/2 as much as a set of D'Addario's.
It's funny that you mention strings here, Rich. I have read a lot of people saying that Ernie Ball Slinky strings tend to buzz a lot, is this true?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Vendor

The easier a string feels to bend the more it will probably buzz.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM

I use Ernie Ball's and they buzz no more than the D'Addario's I used for years on the same guitar(s). (They sound a little brighter to my ears is all)
I do believe they are a little softer, so if you tend to leave your strings on for very long periods they will develop indents where they meet the frets and will eventually start buzzing, but all strings will do this, it's just that the Ernie Ball's will wear out a little faster... but again, I've not noticed any problems compared to the D'Addario's... but I change strings frequently too...

Tags
fret buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode