Upgrate guitar parts.... your opinions please !!! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Upgrate guitar parts.... your opinions please !!!

EDIT Title: Upgrade guitar parts.... your opinions please !!! << Silly "t" instead of "d"

Hello everyone !

Well, I am thinking of upgrading some parts of my RG370DX.. I know anyone will tell me to get another one, but IMHO, I guess that I can make this guitar alive with some changes

First of all.. I decided to change both Neck and Bridge pickups plus the Tremolo as well.

So, I've finally decided on Dimarzio D-Activator X in the bridge as I need the closest passive pickup to EMG sound. I liked the X2N too, but I found that it is somehow more treble than the D-Activator X.

For the neck pup, I am confused a bit. Some people told me to get the D-Activator X (neck version) to match the bridge as a set. While others told me that the D-Activator (The pole pieces version) will be better. The problem that I can't get my hand on a guitar that has D-Activator X installed in it. I liked the D-Activator very much, but I can't compare it to D-Activator X due to lack of the knowledge of how it sounds.
So can you share your opinions and experiences about both of them ?

For the Tremolo, I liked the EDGE 3 Tremolo. It wasn't that bad of how people were describing it. It just need a good setup. It wasn't getting out of tune too. I am using it for 2 years without any wear outs. But it lacked the nice tremolo effect; the fluttering. The best one I found in flutter effect is the Floyd Rose. Fortunately, it seems that it fits in the EDGE III cavity, but how it operates ? Does it work like it was installed by the manufacturer or I will face some problems. - It will be installed by a technician -
Or it just fits but doesn't work at all.. I am talking about the OFR kit, not the licensed FR.

Thank you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 12
Re: Upgrate guitar parts.... your opinions please !!!

I have heard alot of things not so good about the Edge III. although I have never had one myself. On my project I got rid of my TRS trem and went with Original Edge. I had to do minor cavity mods to fit it. but I started with a 95 RG270. I have had great luck with it. it set up great has stayed in tune fantastic I even went nuts with the trem just to test it. I also upgraded to locking posts so that may have helped. I also changed out all my pu's I use V7 S1 and SD SH8 PU in bridge position and it is a totally diffrennt guitar now. I also changed my neck to a 94 RG 550 LTD neck which is a Wizard so it has the proper radius now for the Original Edge. I am sure that helps keeping everything the proper radius.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudler_t View Post
I have heard alot of things not so good about the Edge III. although I have never had one myself. On my project I got rid of my TRS trem and went with Original Edge. I had to do minor cavity mods to fit it. but I started with a 95 RG270. I have had great luck with it. it set up great has stayed in tune fantastic I even went nuts with the trem just to test it. I also upgraded to locking posts so that may have helped. I also changed out all my pu's I use V7 S1 and SD SH8 PU in bridge position and it is a totally diffrennt guitar now. I also changed my neck to a 94 RG 550 LTD neck which is a Wizard so it has the proper radius now for the Original Edge. I am sure that helps keeping everything the proper radius.
Scooping the light on the Original Edge.. DO you think it is better than the OFR ?
I want to to avoid drilling for a larger space in the cavity. I know that Original Edge won't fit in the EDGE III cavity.

Thanks for your reply

EDIT :

on IBANEZ EDGE-III cavity:

• Ibanez Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO <<<

• Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge into Edge-III cavity: NO

• Ibanez Edge-Pro into Edge-III cavity: YES

• Original Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: YES N.B: I heard there will be minor routing too.

• Schaller Floyd Rose into Edge-III cavity: NO

Last edited by Yamadron; 11-21-2009 at 02:40 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Reviews: 2

Do you REALLY want to make all those mods?? You're basically building a new guitar!! (except for the body). I would only change the pickups. If I were you, I'd really save a bit more to get a new guitar. I have a RG350ex (which is basically the same as the RG370dx), and my only complain is the pickups. The neck and trem are good for the price.

But, if you still wanna mod your axe, I'll get an OFR instead of the Edge III.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:27 AM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Killer View Post
Do you REALLY want to make all those mods?? You're basically building a new guitar!! (except for the body). I would only change the pickups. If I were you, I'd really save a bit more to get a new guitar. I have a RG350ex (which is basically the same as the RG370dx), and my only complain is the pickups. The neck and trem are good for the price.

But, if you still wanna mod your axe, I'll get an OFR instead of the Edge III.
Seconded. I switched the pickups in my RG350 but I can live with the Edge III - I've really not had any problems with it other than having to retighten it every now and again. It doesn't do the fluttering thing very well, but then neither does the Edge Pro in my RG1527.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mr.Killer and MarkE for your opinions. They are really appreciated.

to Mr.Killer

I agree you 100% positively. Yes 2 new pups and an OFR would get me a new guitar. I can't argue with this. But lets take a more further view.

The new pups + the Tremolo are : 91 + 73 + 211 = 375 Euros = 558 USD.

Compare both these guitars, my old guitar will be much much much more better in everything. It is used, yea, but better sound and better tuning stability. BTW, I also forgot to say that I will just get the pups and the moment. Getting a new bridge won't be now. Could be the next year too. Still not sure about it, yet.

EDIT: I didn't complain about the neck nor the bridge at all. I love the neck so much. I just do need a better tremolo. That is all

to MarkE

Well probably could be the same thing I have told to Mr.Killer above. Well I wonder if you could tell me how is the Edge Pro ?. Tuning stability, Stiffness, Comfortable to use or not ? I found it more expensive than the OFR at the CyberStore close to me. The Edge Pro is 244 EUR but the OFR is 211 EUR.

Cheers.
Thanks guys
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM

edge pro dont need routing on a edge 3 cavity..i did rout my cavity on it coz i put an edge pro 2...the difference is the block of edge pro 2 i bigger that why i had to rout the cavity to pull up/down.... the best way is the edge pro direct from the cavity..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Any ideas about the pickups ?

Tags
activator , dimarzio , floyd rose , ofr , rg370dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode