Urgent Urgent Help, Stupid Question... Sorry Im a newbie - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Urgent Urgent Help, Stupid Question... Sorry Im a newbie

Hi all... I am very very sorry for having to post such a silly question... But I am extremely stupid and I have the IQ of a drool monkey. I know there are probably a bunch of other posts regarding this... But please forgive me and try to help...

I changed my high E string on my Jem and ever since, it won't stay in tune; all the strings go flat to almost a half step (E-Eb, A-Ab, D-Db, etc.) and also, my tremolo bar hits my pickup switch when it is in center position, something that has never happened before.

My problem is urgent because if I can't find a way to get my Jem in tune and properly set up, I will have to return it (parents... I'm a teenager.... ergh...) So please anyone who is experienced please give me some info on at least where to start... Thanks

Darrell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Vendor

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 06:33 PM

You aren't stupid, and your questions aren't dumb if you have little or no experience with owning and maintaining a trem-equipped guitar.

Are you a complete newbie at guitar maintenance, or is your JEM giving you trouble you haven't experienced before? Are you sure you changed your E string with one of the correct gauge? And did you stretch it in properly?
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

I'm a newb at guitar maintainance... I got the trem bar fixed by adjusting the angle of the tremolo and now I just need to get the strings in tune, problem is with the floating trem when you tighten one string the rest loosen and vice-versa, I tried the site that Rich reccommended but heheheheheheh... To little avail.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Vendor

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:15 PM

If your Jem has Edge Pro trem on it, then take at look at Rich's section on "Locking Stud Mod". Getting the locking studs in mine made the world of difference.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:29 PM

GTR-MAN, I think the problem is a little more fundamental than that!

excellentrocker, tuning a floating trem is a pain in the arse until you have a lot of practice! You just have to keep tweaking until you get it right. Doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, you just need patience.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentrocker
I'm a newb at guitar maintainance... I got the trem bar fixed by adjusting the angle of the tremolo and now I just need to get the strings in tune, problem is with the floating trem when you tighten one string the rest loosen and vice-versa, I tried the site that Rich reccommended but heheheheheheh... To little avail.
If you didn't have the strings in tune when you set the angle, the antgle will still be wrong when it's in tune. You HAVE to set the angle with the strings to pitch, then re-tune, adjust, re-tune . . . so on.

It is a pain, but once you have it set up it'll give you the best feel and tuning you could imagine.

Go through Rich's site step by step, to the letter. It's as complete a guide as you're ever going to find. I've been meaning to write one up for a long time, but you know what? I just type "www.ibanezrules.com", it's a lot faster. :-)

Mic
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 01:07 AM

When you changed the high E string did you use the same gauge strings that were already on it? (Probably .009 was what was on it to start with.) If you used a higher gauge (thicker) string (e.g. .010 or .011) then when you bring that string up to pitch, it's going to be under higher tension, and raise the bridge up, and lower the tension on the other strings, so when you bring those strings up to pitch, the bridge is going to come up... etc.

So, I'm guessing the new E string is a thicker gauge than what you started with... otherwise, changing just one string shouldn't be such a huge effect on the other strings, even noting that the floating bridge is of course a pain in the ass when it comes to tuning compared to a fixed bridge.

You may have to make some adjustments as noted by others to compensate for this, or if I guessed right, and you used a thicker E string, maybe change to an E string from a set that's the same gauge as what you started with and leave your setup alone... Just an idea.

Tags
edge pro trem , equipped guitar , fixed bridge , gauge strings , locking stud , locking stud mod , locking studs , pickup switch , tremolo bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode