Use Gibson 50s style wiring to get more tone control - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Use Gibson 50s style wiring to get more tone control

It's an easy mod and easily reversible. But you won't want to reverse it I'll warrant.

Most modern guitars have the tone control circuit connected to the signal coming in to the volume pot (switch or pickup depending on your guitar). This mod connects the tone control the signal coming *out* of the pot. This makes a huge difference in what your tone control does to your sound. You'll find it more responsive and your guitar will retain more high end.

Steps:
1-
Locate the wire connecting the tone pot to the volume pot. It is typically the middle lug of the tone pot to the outside (not grounded) lug of the volume pot. Disconnect at the volume pot and reconnect to ground. You end up with the middle lug of the tone control connected to ground.
2-
Locate the capacitor connected to the tone pot's outside lug and ground.
Disconnect the ground connection of the capacitor and reconnect that wire to the middle lug of the volume pot. You end up with the tone control connected via the capacitor to the output of the volume pot.

That's it. You'll notice a quicker response when turning your tone contol back and more high end when the tone is rolled back as well.

ashley

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 05:17 PM

Interesting. I may try this. THe duncan 59 i have in the neck position of my rg520qs has an AMAZING tone with the knob rolled back anyways. Much like my les paul's, but not quite as controllable.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

I think you'll like it. I find that on my JS-ized HH 540R, I'll often not bother with the high-pass thing at lower volumes anymore. This mod still isn't as bright as with the high-pass, but it sounds more like what a guitar should sound like when the volume is low. The high-pass thing feels artificial to me.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Re: Use Gibson 50s style wiring to get more tone control

Wow this was really and awsome tip, this is definately something i'm going to try, since i was going to replace the volume pot on my JS1000 with a Shadow Killswitch.. so i would have lost the highpass filter, but thanx, i'll try

Tags
les paul , neck position

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode