Used Jem 7DBK Questions - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Used Jem 7DBK Questions

I recently purchased a used Jem 7DBK and after checking it out and playing a little (love the Breed pickups) I decided to lower the action today as although it was still kind of playable it was noticeably higher than my other Ibanez guitars (about 3mm on the high e and way more on the low e)

I've dropped this now adjusting the bridge following Rich's guide to just over 2mm on the low E and around 1.9mm on the high e.

This now feels a lot more like normal under the fingers for me but although fine everywhere else I noticed that I am getting nothing buzz when I'm playing the low e string at the 17th and 19th fret (but not when playing at the 18th which plays OK..).

I do normally fret very lightly and if I fret even lighter than normal under the buzz it appears I'm actual getting a Bb when I play the 17th fret and a C when I play the 19th (i.e they both sound sharp by a semi-tone) despite the 18th sounding a normal Bb and the 20th a C....

The fifth and higher strings all seem OK on these frets so I'm assuming this means that the end of the fret (18th I assume?) on the bass side is high?

The guitar is from 1999 so does have some minor marks to the textures body and scratches on the pickguard but I did also noticed a few very small chips to the fretboard itself and that there are gaps under the fret tangs (I think that is what they are called? i.e the bit of the fret metal that sits in the wood).

I've never seen this before but then most of my other guitars have bindings on the side and this doesn't.

My best guess is that it has had a re-fret at some point?

Anyway before I take this in to a guitar tech is there anything worth trying myself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 03:43 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Used Jem 7DBK Questions

no...unless you know how to level frets...if there's not a lot of fretwear it probable needs a level...if there is it's worth the money to have it refretted...nice score btw...d.m.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:05 PM

Just play it for a while. Always when setting up a new guitar we're hyper alert to kind of noises and stuff...
I've got spaced gabs under sum frets too, its not uncommon. And bindings..yeah, it looks cool but it doesn't improve your playing. Sharped fretends mostly.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

I'm fairly sure now it must be a fret as is you bend low e string slightly, either toward the a or to the edge of the fretboard the buzz sounds closer to the correct pitch.

It's very blurry but here is a quick shot of the area in question:

http://flic.kr/p/Cr89gB
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM

the frets still have plenty of life based on the picture. If after the neck relief adjustment the problem still there, I would take it for re-crowning/ leveling first, and see how it goes from there before totally replace the fretwire.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 08:56 PM

Reviews: 6

judging by the pic there's one fret that looks like it has come unseated on the low e side...notice the dark line between the fret and the fretboard...should be an easy fix for any decent luthier...d.m.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 2

It's definitely been refretted already.......badly. Take it to someone that can truly do a good job of it. Someone hacked that up pretty bad. It's best at this point to start from a clean slate.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advise.

I'll call my local luthier tomorrow and see when I can get it booked in. It's a great guitar so certainly worth doing, just funds tend to be tight this time of year as the bill role in... hence why I thought I'd see if DIY was an option first.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Just dropped it off with the local luthier and he is hoping to look at it by the weekend - wish me luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 08:28 AM

Reviews: 2

best of luck Matt. Keep us updated.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2016, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Smile Re: Used Jem 7DBK Questions

Collected the 7DBK today - it just ended up needed a good fret stone and small tweak of the truss road so not expensive thankfully.

It's now playing like my 7VWH i.e very slick, your fingers can slide around like a hot knife through butter and you can play chords right up the neck

The neck on this is supposed to be identical to my RG570EX from 2000 but it feels even smoother I guess there is just no substitute for lots and lots of use here.

Tags
buzz , fret , jem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode