Using pedals with a rack unit - getting confused - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Using pedals with a rack unit - getting confused

Hey guys,
I decided to introduce pedals into my chain after having just a simple multi effects unit through my amp's fx loop. I'm having trouble setting up a proper chain. The way I have it now, it seems my analog delay seems to be breaking up a bit, as it is in front of the amp. Also, it seems the first delay feedback is louder than the actual signal.
Anyway, here is what my chain looks like now
Guitar > Tuner > Wah > Flange > Chorus > Analog delay > Input of amp > Amp Fx loop send to Input of my multi effects > Out of multi effects into loop station > Out of loop station to return of fx loop.
Would I get better, more clear results if I changed this up?
Example:
Guitar > Tuner > Wah > Input of amp > Fx loop send of amp to all the other pedals in order (i.e Flange>Chorus>Analog Delay>Multi effects>Looper>Fx loop return
I also want to continue to take advantage of my multi effects' noise reduction system etc.
I'm getting confused lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM

Re: Using pedals with a rack unit - getting confused

Time based effects(chorus,flange,delay etc) MUST be post amp,in the effects loop.
Thats your problaem,you are delaying your guitar and signal before it's gone through the pre-amp stage where you are generating your tone,every delay repeat is also getting gain from running through the pre-amp.

Put it in the amps effect loop,then you will be adding a pure delayed effect to your finished tone.
The pedals you put in front would be drive pedals,wah etc....pedals that 'push' and or distort.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 01:28 AM

In mind with Corey's advice

You > Guitar > Tuner > MultiFX > Wah (interchangable?) > Amp In > Effects Loop out > Flange > Chorus > Delay> Looper > Effects Loop Return
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Awesome. I'll change this today. However, would those pedals (i.e. flange, chorus, delay) go BEFORE or after my multi effects unit? Or is that interchangeable?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:49 AM

What are you using it for? Generally, you would want delays and reverbs to make up the end of your chain. So, if you using the multi effect for reverb, then I'd put it last. If you're not using it for delay or reverb, I'd put it anywhere in front of the delay pedal.

You can get some pretty cool sounds, though, putting effects in unconventional (not sure that's the word I'm looking for) orders. Test your chorus pedal right before and after your distortion pedal. I think it sounds pretty damn cool before.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
What are you using it for? Generally, you would want delays and reverbs to make up the end of your chain. So, if you using the multi effect for reverb, then I'd put it last. If you're not using it for delay or reverb, I'd put it anywhere in front of the delay pedal.

You can get some pretty cool sounds, though, putting effects in unconventional (not sure that's the word I'm looking for) orders. Test your chorus pedal right before and after your distortion pedal. I think it sounds pretty damn cool before.
I use my multi effects for digital delays, reverbs, and especially the noise reduction system in it. And sometimes EQ and phaser. I might try my chorus in the loop but in front of the effects and delay. My flange pedal I had to put in front of my amp because it's the Paul Gilbert airplane flanger. If you try and put it in Take Off mode (where it completely takes over your signal) and use it in the fx loop, I probably would have blown a speaker. That one definately works best in front of the amp. Nice point about trying chorus before/after distortion pedal but I just the my amp's overdrive - plenty of gain with my Peavey 6505+.
So most likely put multi effects at the end of my chain? (well, before the looper as that needs to be last in the chain to record/loop properly).
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:59 PM

or if your multiFX has it's own loop-out/return what you can do is
You > Guitar > Tuner > MultiFX (Loop out) > Wah (interchangable?) > Amp In > Effects Loop out > MultiFX (Loop return) > MultiFX (Live Out) > Flange > Chorus > Delay> Looper > Effects Loop Return

Man... that's a mouth-full...

So that means, the distortions pedals and distortion patches from the MultiFX is going into the preamp. Preamp comes back out going into the FX loop return on the Multi. Then the Multi goes into the flange and phase and looper. Looper goes into power amp.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
or if your multiFX has it's own loop-out/return what you can do is
You > Guitar > Tuner > MultiFX (Loop out) > Wah (interchangable?) > Amp In > Effects Loop out > MultiFX (Loop return) > MultiFX (Live Out) > Flange > Chorus > Delay> Looper > Effects Loop Return

Man... that's a mouth-full...

So that means, the distortions pedals and distortion patches from the MultiFX is going into the preamp. Preamp comes back out going into the FX loop return on the Multi. Then the Multi goes into the flange and phase and looper. Looper goes into power amp.
Cool, unfortunately mine does not (only in/out). Now I need to test out if my pedals before my muli effects will get affected somehow being that they are before the noise reducer in the unit.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 11:30 PM

Reviews: 4

in my book, wah comes before the MFX. just me, though.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 AM

Where in canada are you tannen?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
in my book, wah comes before the MFX. just me, though.
Me too. I'm just trying to tinker with having my stomboxes (modulation/delay) before or after mfx.
Quote:
Where in canada are you tannen?
Northern Ontario

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode