Using Vinegar to Treat Metal Corrosion - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Using Vinegar to Treat Metal Corrosion

Hello folks,

I recently returned to a guitar that I haven't seen for a couple of years and although it is still in great shape there was some decent corrosion on the allen bolts of the nut locking pads. Well, I thought I would try a home remedy. I used a little white vinegar in a small dish and submerged the bolts for a while.

The good - the corrosion started to dissipate almost immediately. You can actually watch the crud fizz and fall off.

The bad - I then wandered off and left them long enough for the black paint/coating to also come off.

No matter, they were a bit scratched from when the previous owner had tried to lock/unlock with a pair of pliers instead of an allen key and, although now sans black, now look as if I just got them from the hardware store.

I did wipe them down with WD40 afterwards to help with the vinegary tang and also to help delay further corrosion.

The next time I find some guitar hardware with corrosion I'll try the same thing but not leave it soaking for too long.

I picked up this idea from my awesome mum who swears by vinegar for cleaning household metalwork like taps etc. She's right too. If you have cruddy taps get them soaked in some vinegar and see the difference. If your shower head sucks from limescale do the same.

Anyway, this might help someone out with restoring or fixing a guitar and I dare say it also might help when you need to clean up pick-up poles. I've been wondering if it would be good for frets. It works wonders on battery contacts that have blue/green battery corrosion too. If anyone else tries it and has some success please let us know on this thread.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:22 PM

Re: Using Vinegar to Treat Metal Corrosion

I use white vinegar on cosmo all the time. The finish has a tendency to pick up wax which leaves discoloration which will not come off in any other way. I then immediately rinse the parts with water to make sure that the vinegar doesn't damage the finish.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I use white vinegar on cosmo all the time. The finish has a tendency to pick up wax which leaves discoloration which will not come off in any other way. I then immediately rinse the parts with water to make sure that the vinegar doesn't damage the finish.
Good to know, I have a few guitars with cosmo. Thanks for the knowledge TaR! I'm thinking to try this with pick guard screws & strap pins too when I eventually get home. I know for sure I have some cruddy ones here and there.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 PM

I've not ever tried it on screws. I usually just soak them in WD40 or replace them. I have some pickup pole pieces I could try this on.

Tags
cleaner , cleaning , corrosion , metal , solution

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode