UV Setup??? String gauge and action preferences? - How do yo - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

UV Setup??? String gauge and action preferences? - How do yo

Hi, I wonder how dou you like the setup of your UV's?

1. What string gauge?

2. Action?
* a- didn't touched it since bought
* b- strings kiss the fretboard
* c- high
* d- change it every now then, never really satisfied
* e- else, please explain

Rock on!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 08:52 AM

UV Setup??? String gauge and action preferences?

I have an rg7620 which is basically setup the same. I like the sound and feel of 10's. As for action I like it as low as I can get it with no string buzz.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2000, 09:23 AM

I use a standard d'Addario XL .012-.054(?) set and buy an extra .009 for the high E.

Quote:
I like it as low as I can get it with no string buzz - Noodles
ditto

my UV777GR plays silky smooth. I've torn it all apart and put her back together again, but I tend to do that with most of my guitars atleast once - especially bolt-ons, where so much rests on getting the neck angle just right...
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2000, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Hi Jimi D,

If I have got it correctly, you mean you remove the neck from the body first and then assemble it again to set the neck angle right. Do you put something between the neck and the body to tilt the neck back? I used to do that with my strats. But I didn't do it with my UV since the body and neck fit so tightly. Besides that I had concerns because of the sustain.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 11:39 AM

alienx ~ I pulled the neck off just to take a peak, but the angle was good so I left it as it was... I just wanted to see IF it was shimmed or not (it was). I should note that I've got a great tech who's spent years explaining things to me, a really good book ("The Guitar Player's Repair Guide" by Dan Erlewine), and a lot of trial and error under my belt now, so I've learned what I like in a guitar set up and can pretty much manage the lion's share of it myself... but I had to "undo" nearly as many "setups" as I did in the beginning. It helps if you have one guitar you can play with, and another guitar to play - that way you don't feel any pressure to "finish" the job TODAY, which makes the learning much less stressful, imho

My experience is that the tone of the guitar will tend to improve with a proper back angle on the neck (which usually means a subtle, well placed shim). I like my guitars so I can raise my bridge a little off the body while keeping the action nice and low across the whole fretboard with virtually NO relief in the neck, and the shim allows me to do this; it also seems to add to the "ring" of the guitar, rather than detract from it. I've never noticed a loss in sustain or tone after shimming a neck, and I've done it to most of my bolt neck guitars, including my fave strat and tele. I've always loved the Fender "Micro Tilt" adjustment on their HM and AS Strats - it's basically an adjustable shim. When I shim my guitars myself, I use old credit cards or membership cards cut a little less than a quarter inch wide and about 3/4ths as long as the neck pocket is wide. The nice thing about shims is that if you put the guitar back together and don't like the results, you can just pull the neck off and remove it. It's not like a refinish
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2001, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great info Jimi D . I used shim the necks of my strats with folded paper, old credit cards seem to be great idea to recycle them. I'll try it with my universe.

Tags
dan erlewine , neck angle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode