UV Top Coat? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Exclamation UV Top Coat?

Hello!

So I am now in the primer stage of my swirl project and wanted to know about going about the last step of painting the guitar. The Clear coat. I am only home for a few more weeks and we should be swirling the guitar this weekend once the primer dries. I have been reading around and have been seeing that it takes months for the clear coat to fully cure before you can wet sand it and finish it. Well, I don't have a couple months because I am going back to college in less than a month.

So I started searching around for a way to cut the drying time in half or even more than that. And all that I found was an article from Taylor guitars talking about UV top coats. They stick the guitar in a sort of UV emitting oven and in minutes the special UV clear coat is dried, cured, and you can wet sand it right away. Where do I go about getting this super fast drying clear coat? Is it more expensive than regular lacquer? If so, how much more? I don't have a UV oven so how would I dry it? Could I just take it to a tanning store and stick it on a tanning bed?? It sounds stupid I know but I really don't want to end up not being able to bring my newly swirled guitar to college.

Any help is really appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: UV Top Coat?

just use urethane 2k clear you can wetsand and buff the next day.
even the cheap acme urethane dries enough to wetsand and buff the next day.
check out extremeswirls.com all my swirls i cleared and buffed the next day.
get highsolid it goes on thicker.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
just use urethane 2k clear you can wetsand and buff the next day.
even the cheap acme urethane dries enough to wetsand and buff the next day.
check out extremeswirls.com all my swirls i cleared and buffed the next day.
get highsolid it goes on thicker.
Care to link to the brands you use? Do they sell them at any local Home Depot or Lowe's??
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 PM

get Krylon Fusion its available everywhere, isnt as harmful, still need a mask, dries pretty fast, and cures to a rock in like 7 days. Wet sands to a ultra high shine too.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinAzian12 View Post
Care to link to the brands you use? Do they sell them at any local Home Depot or Lowe's??
i get mine froma a paint supply .
ask a local autobody shop they can lead you in the right direction.
its not high maybe like 60.00 for clear and hardner and get free strainer.
i get mine from a local dealer .
advanced autoparts and autozone has it too.
dont do rattle can clear it will take forever to get enogh build to level the swirl texture.
i use acme highsolid clear dires fast and i can buff and wetsand the next day.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 PM

$14 worth of Krylon and knowing what your doing that is the street outside my shop about 30 foot away, not a light bulb above.. That is how you do a mirror finish

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibanezcollector View Post
$14 worth of Krylon and knowing what your doing that is the street outside my shop about 30 foot away, not a light bulb above.. That is how you do a mirror finish

I am looking on Home Depot and Lowes' websites and they only seem to carry Rust-oleum and other brands but not Krylon. There is an auto parts store by my house called O'Reilly Auto Parts and they sell cans of Krylon Clear but it isn't the Fusion type you suggested. Should I just go and order them online? You are suggesting this specific type and clear right?

http://www.thetoolworkshop.com/krylo...paint2444.aspx
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:26 PM

yes you want krylon fusion clear, it really is a fantastic clear that you need $0 money to shoot and get professional results ive been painting guitars for 20 years and its wonderful clear hope they never discontinue it, and its durable as hell after about 7 days.

you can find a retailer(s) around you on their site.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes you want krylon fusion clear, it really is a fantastic clear that you need $0 money to shoot and get professional results ive been painting guitars for 20 years and its wonderful clear hope they never discontinue it, and its durable as hell after about 7 days.

you can find a retailer(s) around you on their site.
~facepalm~ duh! walmart has it! Thanks so much. I will go and get some this week! How many cans do you think I need for one whole guitar?? Any tips when applying the clear coat??
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:34 PM

I use three cans per body, you want to make smooth passes sorta applying it wet just at the edge of dripping, this takes some practice but if you just do smooth passes and evenly you should be able to wetsand with no issues and it will bury the swirl enough to get a nice beautiful shine as above.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

Talking Re: UV Top Coat?

Quote:
I use three cans per body, you want to make smooth passes sorta applying it wet just at the edge of dripping, this takes some practice but if you just do smooth passes and evenly you should be able to wetsand with no issues and it will bury the swirl enough to get a nice beautiful shine as above.
Awesome. Again, thanks so much. I will have pictures of the project hopefully next week.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 05:53 AM

Hey ibanezcollector,
Do you know if the krylon clear will work on a stained finish?
Im about ready to clear a project and im not looking to spend a lot of $$$
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 AM

Smile Re: UV Top Coat?

Quote:

Hey i use to use the krylon clear it is cheap and easy.
But i have had the swirl peal right off after a year expecially near the edges and no matter how good you think it is watch ,it will come off and urethane is rock hard and WILL last alot longer . p.s. my camera sucks and true daylight shots are over exposed thats why i have a light shot on mine which are just as nice looking.Ask my actual customers who have seen them.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 AM

never had a issue with it got some yoyos cleared which get way more abuse then a guitar for over 2 years with no issues.

not saying your wrong andrew so no need to get defensive, but ive been painting for a very long time

Last edited by ibanezcollector; 12-28-2011 at 08:55 AM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
never had a issue with it got some yoyos cleared which get way more abuse then a guitar for over 2 years with no issues.

not saying your wrong andrew so no need to get defensive, but ive been painting for a very long time

Thats cool bro we are both just trying to help.

Tags
coat , swirl , top

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode