"vertical" crack at the scarf joint? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

"vertical" crack at the scarf joint?

hey guys, i got a used Jackson, and its obvious the nut was overtightened - when i loosend the screws the wood went "pop" and the crack got "smoother"...

thing is all other threads i found had cracks between the nut screws, but this nut's screws (unlike Ibanez's) dont go thru the wood, and this crack goes with the grain...

i took a couple of pics (copy/paste the link into a new window - stupid geocities)

www.geocities.com/marianozz15/crack.jpg
www.geocities.com/marianozz15/crack2.jpg

what can i do to repair it? can i drill holes at the tips to prevent it from crackin further? should i get a whole new neck?

sorry about the quality, everytime i have the money for a real camera, i end up getting a guitar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 07:40 PM

"this page is not available"

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2004, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by straymond
"this page is not available"

You should be able to see the pictures if you copy the link and paste it in a new browser window, or if you right-click on it and choose "Save target as..."

damn Geocities doesnt allow linking files directly...
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Heres a better pic, anyone? plz guys...

http://www.geocities.com/marianozz15/headcrack.jpg (right-click / Save as...)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:53 AM

You just need to get some of the thin (thinnest-thinner than water) superglue and get it in there. Nothing from the grocery store will do, but hobby shops have it. They also have "accelerator" which speeds the drying time and increases the bond strength. You don't need the sped up dry time, but you do want the extra strength. So first, clean the crack with peroxide or alcohol, and let dry completely. Then spray the area with the accellerator, then wipe it off. Wait about 30 seconds, and then put the glue in there. Watch around the other side that it doesn't come flooding out the truss rod nut area. You don't want glue in there. It would be nice to see a little moisture come through so you could tell it went all the way through. If you can see the crack from inside the truss rod adjustment area, then seal that part off first, or better yet, fill entirely from that side, so the glue runs out the back of the neck. But I repeat, you don't want to glue the truss rod nut or the rod itself in place. Then you can scrape the extra glue away with razors and finish off with flat files and sandpaper. It will be better than new, since the superglue will have soaked the area and hardened in there.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 12:37 PM

Yeah I second that, thats what I did this morning actually on an old Ibanez neck I had lying around. I have been meaning to get it up to scratch for a while, and finally got round to it today! I just got some very thin super glue (proper good stuff) and scraped it in there. Then I just sanded away the excess with fine grit. Turned out lovely. You can still see the crack faintly, but you cant feel it at all. It was a job well done!

Gary - The.Godfather
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanx

The fretboard and the truss rod big adjustment screw/nut/thing dont really let me see that much from the other side, but the crack doesnt seem to be there...

Im gonna glue it now, ill reassemble the whole thing tomorrow

Tags
ibanez neck , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod nut

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode