Video: Treble bleed volume circuit with and without a resistor - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Video: Treble bleed volume circuit with and without a resistor

There doesn't seem to be a way to embed this, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGXdKqhTW2c

I threw a new SSS pickguard on my Strat recently (I'd had it SSH for years), and in doing so tried a couple different treble bleed approaches - I didn't do any video of the "50's wiring" approach, but I did a before/after when I decided to remove the resistor wired in parallel with the capacator (which is the standard "treble bleed" mod).

I was surprised to find how much I preferred this mod without the resistor, but I probably shouldn't be - I guess a cap, no resistor, is standard on most Ibanez guitars, and furthermore when I went back to check is how I'd had my strat wired up in the past. A lot of people find the capacator alone too pronounced and add a resistor in parallel to lessen the effect somewhat; I'm not one of them. I ride my volume knob a fair amount while playing, and use it mostly to control the perceived saturation on a moderately overdriven amp (here, in the first two clips, a Rectifier Roadster in Ch. 3 Vintage, my usual lead setting - the final is Ch4 for a heavy high gain sound). With the resistor, you didn't preserve the high end clarity quite as well as you rolled the volume back - there's an appealing vintage-y softness to the highs, and it probably would be ideal for a clean player or a guy looking to use his volume knob to sit back a bit while playing rhythm, but for lead work it didn't clean up as nicely and changed the tone more than I wanted. Without a resistor, there's a TON more sparkle left in the signal than with.

I think the third clip, around 1:40, is hilarious; it's a heavy Rectifier crunch, yet with the volume back it's a clean tone that wouldn't be out of place on a Black Crowes album.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
capacitor , strat , treble bleed , volume , wiring

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode