Volume knob completely seized up - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Volume knob completely seized up

My volume knob on my RGT320Q completely seized up all of a sudden during band rehearsal today. Is there a certain type of oil I can try putting in the joint of the knob, or is it toast and I need a new one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:02 AM

Re: Volume knob completely seized up

i had this happen once but it was during an install. i think the pot got over-heated. if it seized up during rehearsal i don't know what to tell you. Maybe try some contact cleaner. Aside from that i'd just get a new pot.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Contact cleaner didn't work. I brought it in to my local guitar tech, he said a new pot is needed. The guitar model is RGT320Q RBB, both pots are stock, they say "Ibanez made in Japan". I can't read the volume pot, but the tone pot says 500k. So I assume the volume is the same? He said he'll replace it with a CTS 500k and it'll be good to go. Is that fine? And also, would it be beneficial at all to change the tone pot to CTS 500k as well? Will it affect the sound? I don't use tone knob, but for whatever reason if changing the tone pot to CTS 500k will help the guitar's sound, then I'll do it too.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I've just spent the last half hour doing some reading on the net about changing pots. I've read that some users have had to enlarge the hole on the guitar in order to fit in CTS pots on their Ibanez's. This has gotten me a little worried, as I'd rather not permanently modify this beautiful guitar!

So.. Will a CTS 500K pot fit as a direct replacement for the stock Ibanez pot, or is the base too wide for the hole and will need enlarging? Are there different sized CTS pots for this reason?

I'm just wondering if I should go on with the CTS, or order an Ibanez pot from Rich.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:04 PM
Vendor

Ibanez supplier [probably Cortex but I'm not sure] delivered a lot of bad batches of pots around the time your 320 was made, this board is filled with "my pot just seized" threads. There hasn't been any problem since, except pots out of these batches still locking up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Ibanez supplier [probably Cortex but I'm not sure] delivered a lot of bad batches of pots around the time your 320 was made, this board is filled with "my pot just seized" threads. There hasn't been any problem since, except pots out of these batches still locking up.
It's funny that you mention that, because the RGT320 is a 2007, and my 2008 RG770DX Reissue and 2009 RG3570Z both have REALLY stiff volume/tone knobs, making it very difficult to do swells. Don't care about the tone knob. Some contact cleaner has helped, but still pretty stiff. The 320 was a little different though, it wasn't stiff, but it wasn't smooth, felt gritty like sand was in there. At first I thought I was grinding the knob on the finish. I've never experienced these issues on any other RG / JEM I've owned.

So would you be able to answer my slew of questions / worries regarding the pot change (CTS or not? Both volume and tone, or changing tone has no effect on sound?)?

Like I was saying, I'd rather my tech not have to enlarge the hole, unless you guys think it's totally worth it (if this is actually the case with CTS pots & RGs).
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:23 PM
Vendor

One of them started to make Asian shaft pots, bournes or cts, I don't know which, but if they aren't Asian shaft they'll have to be drilled.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:01 PM

^^ This. I would stay away from both of them. I heard they would require drilling...but can't confirm.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Should I call my tech and ask if they specifically have Asian shaft CTS pots? I'm sure one of the techs must have come across this at some point..

Last edited by Steveche; 03-19-2016 at 09:39 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I spoke to the tech, he said the CTS pot he is going to put in is the exact same size.

Would it be beneficial at all, in terms of enhancing guitar tone, to change the tone pot as well? Would it add any benefit over the stock Ibanez 500K tone pot?
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:51 PM

same thing happened several months ago with my USAC RG.
It's Dimarzio pots in there, I managed to make the tone pot works with spraying some contact cleaner.
but for the vol pot, it's just seized no matter what.
lucky that I don't use both pots, I always put them on maximum. So at this moment it's not bothering me.
Just someday I must replace those, just to make me sleep better at night.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
same thing happened several months ago with my USAC RG.
It's Dimarzio pots in there, I managed to make the tone pot works with spraying some contact cleaner.
but for the vol pot, it's just seized no matter what.
lucky that I don't use both pots, I always put them on maximum. So at this moment it's not bothering me.
Just someday I must replace those, just to make me sleep better at night.
Yeah, well my stock tone pot still turns fine. But I was wondering if there's any benefit in changing the tone pot as well, while the guitar is in the shop to replace the seized volume pot to CTS. If there's no effect on guitar tone by upgrading the tone pot to CTS as well, then there's no point in paying the extra money... Like $6 lol.

Does anyone know if I should change both to CTS while I'm at it, or if there's no point?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveche View Post
Yeah, well my stock tone pot still turns fine. But I was wondering if there's any benefit in changing the tone pot as well, while the guitar is in the shop to replace the seized volume pot to CTS. If there's no effect on guitar tone by upgrading the tone pot to CTS as well, then there's no point in paying the extra money... Like $6 lol.

Does anyone know if I should change both to CTS while I'm at it, or if there's no point?
I'm not sure about this either.
Some myth says CTS is indeed making an improvement compare to cheap whatever stock pots coming with the guitar.
Then again, myth also says only people with 'golden ears' can hear the difference.

Personally, I don't hear the improvement, Maybe I don't have golden ears LOL.
But I did put some CTS and (CRL switch) in some of my guitars just believing that they will last longer than any stocks.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 06:59 AM

if it aint broke don't fix it is my opinion. does the guitar have a metal knob? i wonder if it's going to fit on the cts pot

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in