Warmoth neck + AANJ body? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Warmoth neck + AANJ body?

I am wanting a new neck for my Ibanez (which is an RG 550 with an AANJ and 24 frets) and was thinking warmoth? Would it fit is I sand the heel to match the AANJ?

If it wouldn't is there anywhere else that would do them?

Regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
I'm fairly sure the answer here is "No" unless Warmoth have started offering bodies with the AANJ style heel.

It's my understanding that the positions for the screws on an AANJ are set further into the body, towards the bridge than on a traditional square heel set up.

I think you're looking at some major modifications to get these two to mate properly.

Maybe a custom body from one of the sponsors would be a less troublesome option?
jono is online  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-16-2004, 09:18 AM

reshaping the neck heel is only a cosmetic issue -- a Warmoth neck will never fit an RG body because the neck length and scale length don't match..

Strat scale length, 25.5" from nut to bridge, and Strat neck length with either 21 or 22 frets, are the standard dimensions used by most custom builders including Warmoth. RGs have the same scale length but a 24 fret neck, which is longer to accomidate those extra frets. Ibanez bodies have the neck pocket closer to the bridge to make the scale length still come out at 25.5" with the longer neck. if you put a Warmoth Strat neck on there, even though it is the same scale length of 25.5", the neck would be too close to the bridge on the RG body, the actual scale length would be something like 25", and the guitar would not intonate at all. it would be unplayable.

you might think that Warmoth's 24 fret necks and bodies, different from their Strat bodies, would work with Ibanez parts, but Warmoth uses short Gibson 24.75" scale length for their 24 fret stuff. this won't work with Ibanez parts either.

you would need a neck specifically made to accomidate the RG body to the right scale length. like jono says, there are custom builders advertising on Jemsite who have the dimensions of Ibanez parts and could biuld you one with ease and skill.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:38 PM

Warmoth does make a 24 fret 25.5" scale neck, but it has a fretboard overhang for the extra 2 frets so it won't work with an AANJ either.

There is no warmoth neck that will fit on an AANJ body unfortunately.
If you want an AANJ neck shoot me an email, I can build it to your spec for you if you want.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Warmoth does make a 24 fret 25.5" scale neck, but it has a fretboard overhang for the extra 2 frets so it won't work with an AANJ either.

There is no warmoth neck that will fit on an AANJ body unfortunately.
If you want an AANJ neck shoot me an email, I can build it to your spec for you if you want.
You have got mail.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2004, 03:03 PM

Well, technically, a Warmoth neck will fit, but in order to bolt it securely to the body, you have to do the classic neck joint-to-AANJ conversion. Grafting an extra block of wood onto the butt end of the neck under the fretboard extension and re-shaping the heel should work (see the bottom of this page for an example). But why buy a brand-new Warmoth neck and then have it modified to suit your purpose?

Getting one made to order to fit without mods is definitely the better way to go.

Tags
aanj neck , fret neck , fret necks , neck joint , warmoth neck , warmoth strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode