Weird Guitar Problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Weird Guitar Problem

A few years ago I had a Vigier Excalibur and it had a problem whereby the A note would sort of buzz on the 7th fret D string.

All the other notes on the 7th fret were OK, just that A note. The buzz wasn't audible through the amp, although if you really whacked the string it was but I can't imagine anyone belting the strings in such a fashion.

Now on my Ibanez I have this problem on the 7th fret, D string A note! I was using Ernie Ball strings but now I'm using D'Addario. It's not coming through the amp but I'm just curious as to why this is happening and if anyone has ever heard of this before?

My set up is as follows:

Action = 2mm bass and treble from bottom of string to top of 12th fret.
Relief .007" at 7th fret

I've been using this set up for years and it's only on my Vigier and Ibanez guitars that I've had this mysterious 7th fret D string problem. If I straighten the neck the problem gets a lot worse and it becomes audible through the amp. All other notes on the 7th fret are OK. The intonation on the 7th fret D string is perfect. I tune to A standard 440. My frets are all level as I have checked them myself with a fret rocker tool.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 AM

Re: Weird Guitar Problem

7 ,Seven days in a week,seven tones of the scale,the beast with seven heads. A ,the first letter,the beginning .I think the buzz has strong meaning and the guitar will give you magic. Don’t mess with it, you are lucky to have that buzz.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 AM

maybe something's gotten loose, like the small adjustment screws on a tele saddle
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlanK View Post
maybe something's gotten loose, like the small adjustment screws on a tele saddle
I just changed strings yesterday and everything is tight.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM

The first thing anyone would say ofcourse would be that your fret is probably loose, but since you said that you checked them all and they are fine that is clearly not the answer. If it was me I would adjust my truss rod to make sure the neck is straight, then I would adjust my action accordingly aswell as be sure that the buzz is not just being caused by loose tuning keys that are being shaken just by the frequincy of the a note (which has happened to me lol) but other than that I cant say. check it out and let me know and ill give more suggestions. Good Luck!

- Alex
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM

Is it a fret buzz? Or could it be some sort of sympathetic resonation of some hardware on the guitar?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2011, 07:39 PM

If it's not fret buzz, it's something resonating, as shotgunn said.

Check the saddle for burrs, that would be my first suspect. Usually a burr on the saddle will cause all notes on a string to buzz, but sometimes not... things can get a little weird on these things...

@FunkyDice: I see time and time again people telling someone to "make sure the neck is straight", if you mean it literally, 'straight', a guitar neck actually should have a slight, or sometimes not so slight, bow forward. Usually when the neck is straight, you're asking for problems... like fret buzz and playability issues.

If you just meant in general, 'make sure your neck isn't bowed too far forward or back', then I apologize for my assumption.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2011, 05:41 PM

Could be low action, the string's vibrating path, mixed with that string gauge hitting the apex/curve of the neck.

All good/low actions have a little buzz when not plugged in. If it bothers you, back off the truss rod a little, or stop listening for it. :-)

Have to remember, it's only a guitar.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:18 PM

Every guitar is different and everything - every part - resonates in its own ways. Perhaps that wasn't too helpful though...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 01:05 PM
Banned

Reviews: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonlight View Post
7 ,Seven days in a week,seven tones of the scale,the beast with seven heads. A ,the first letter,the beginning .I think the buzz has strong meaning and the guitar will give you magic. Donít mess with it, you are lucky to have that buzz.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Reviews: 4

Ninja'd by 6f....

Really, if it isn't that apparent, those kinda flukes seem to show up all the time. Good luck, hope you can get it resolved.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode