Weird high pitch noise only on palm muted A-String - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Angry Weird high pitch noise only on palm muted A-String

Hello there!

Well, I heard there are some experts around here, so I hope you guys can help me.

I have an Ibanez RG450AH from '99 here and since a few days I am encountering a high pitch noise when doing palm mutes on the open A-string.

I recorded a soundfile with this noise so you can have a listen. Since I am new here and not allowed to post a link yet, please take this url and write "dropbox.com" before. It's basically in my dropbox. Hope this works, otherwise send me a message and I will give you the link.

Dropbox: /s/3aczgnk2v7n3iom/a-saite.mp3?dl=0

There is some kind of high frequency ringing noise going on. It appears ONLY on the open a-string when playing palm mutes. Nowhere else! If I play an A on the 5th on the E-string it's perfectly fine.

I tried a ton of things but none of them helped:
- Changing the Locking Nut
- Putting Foam around the Tremolo springs
- Putting Foam underneath the strings behind the nut
- Putting Foam underneath the Pickups!
- Raising the string action (the guitar is set-up well!!)

When tuning down the a-string a halfstep the noise is still there. So obviously it should be the Nut right? But no... I changed that too.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Stefan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 08:36 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: Weird high pitch noise only on palm muted A-String

It almost sounds like a bad harmonic coming off your palm or bridge (not nut) based on how tight it is with the attack. The foam is more for squeals from sympathetic notes coming back to the trem springs.

What tremolo is this?

You should isolate a few things...

if the RG has a locking stud make sure it's locked. check the saddle for crack/damage.

if it is related to pick strength/attack. does the sound occur with a light attack? heavier attack?

does it happen if the A is not muted

does it happen at std tuning

raise low E side action more does it eliminate the problem.

Gotta keep working thru it.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
It almost sounds like a bad harmonic coming off your palm or bridge (not nut) based on how tight it is with the attack. The foam is more for squeals from sympathetic notes coming back to the trem springs.

What tremolo is this?

You should isolate a few things...

if the RG has a locking stud make sure it's locked. check the saddle for crack/damage.

if it is related to pick strength/attack. does the sound occur with a light attack? heavier attack?

does it happen if the A is not muted

does it happen at std tuning

raise low E side action more does it eliminate the problem.

Gotta keep working thru it.
It's an LO-TRS I Tremolo.

Locking studs are locked tight. Saddles are absolutely fine!

The sound is always present, no matter how hard or soft i pick. But its only there when I palm mute the string!

When playing the string normally, there is no pitch noise.

I'm playing in standard tuning but tuning up/down does not solve the problem either.

I can vary the string action from very low to very high but is does not affect the noise.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

is it safe to assume if another player palm mutes open A the sound is not heard or exactly the same?

if you play palm muted slower (quarter notes 60bpm) downstroke only is it heard?

if you play PM up and down is it heard?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode