Weird noise problem - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Weird noise problem

OK, here's the deal. At the moment I'm stuck with a very low quality amp and a crappy guitar.

I usually play with a lot of distortion and I couldn't help to notice that when I'm not playing (guitar plugged in and amplifier on, of course) my amp is not 100% quiet. Instead a steady buzz can be heard and it seems to be becoming more annoying each day that passes on... . A strange thing is that as soon as I touch any metallic part of my guitar, the buzz goes away (this includes strings, tuners, bridge, jack, etc). I figure it has something to do with me earthing some kind of electric circuit (or something like that) and I tried attaching a battery to the bridge, with no results of course... . The only thing that seems to keep her happy is my touch (how romantic... ).

I guess this is probably a common annoyance and was wondering if anyone has any solution to my problem. Thanks for the tips guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 02:41 AM

It may have to do with the 'grounding' of your guitar, the 'buzz' you hear then is due to the fact that the common ground for the amp is not the same as the guitar, like the bridge (I don't know how that works with guitars)...So I think it's a difference in potential...Anyone else?

It can also be the 'low quality amp' as you state it, my old amp had a very bad shielding problem; as long as I left all electrical equipment near the amp off, it wouldn't buzz.

The solution (if the diagnosis is right) would be correct grounding of your guitar.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 03:56 AM

apri il vano elettrico e controlla attentamente ogni singola saldatura, potrebbe esserci qualche filo di massa staccato. se tutto ok fammelo sapere via email che poi ti dico.

open wiring cavity and check every single solderings, some wires may be unsoldered. if everything's ok, drop me a line.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krizz
...the fact that the common ground for the amp is not the same as the guitar, ....
The guitar is earthed through the amp, so that isn't strictly true.

The reasons for this sort of buzz are many and complex. The reason it goes away is to do with the human body acting as an untuned aerial and an earth when you touch the guitar.

Like Nuno says check all wiring very carefully for broken or dry joints. Shielding the cavities also makes a huge difference.

It is very unlikely to be a problem in your amp or lead but it might be worth checking by plugging in a different guitar and using a different lead.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
Quote:
Originally Posted by krizz
...the fact that the common ground for the amp is not the same as the guitar, ....
The guitar is earthed through the amp, so that isn't strictly true.
Well, like nuno says; maybe _not_ (because of loose wires in the guitar), then that's the problem indeed.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 04:34 AM

if you had no earth at all you wouldn't get any sound out of the guitar apart from a buzz.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Problem is I have many crappy jacks and two very crappy guitars and the buzz is always there.

I think it's a problem of the guitars because they really suck and the circuits inside are really poorly made (not that I understand anything about it but it is obvious from the price range of the guitars).
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 09:18 AM
dex

Earhing the bridge should do it unless you are talking about single coils or you practice in front of a PC monitor.

ilia
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEr0
Problem is I have many crappy jacks...
he meant "cables" (we call'em "jacks")

zEr0, occhio che quello che noi chiamiamo "jack" per loro la presa input dove infili il cavo. non per fare il professorino, solo per evitare equivoci.

zEr0, be aware that what we call "jack" is the plug where you'd plug the cable into, actually. not to act picky, just to avoid misunderstandings.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 03:07 AM

In most guitars with passive p/u's you complete the ground. That's one reason I prefer EMG active p/u's. And you don't have to worry about being electrocuted, either.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno
Quote:
Problem is I have many crappy jacks...
he meant "cables" (we call'em "jacks")

zEr0, occhio che quello che noi chiamiamo "jack" per loro la presa input dove infili il cavo. non per fare il professorino, solo per evitare equivoci.

zEr0, be aware that what we call "jack" is the plug where you'd plug the cable into, actually. not to act picky, just to avoid misunderstandings.
Oops sorry for my bad english...

And dex, how do I earth the bridge? I dont have a clue about electronics or physics...

THX again
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 08:38 AM
dex

Open the cavity and see what is the most common color wire in there that is soldered to the caps of all pots - that should be ground.
Then you need to have a wire going from any of the ground solder joints (but on most guitars that is on the volume pot) to the bridge or the trem spring claw.
Usualy guitars come with this in place but maybe yours got diconected or something.

ilia
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2004, 11:24 AM

Re: Weird noise problem

Quote:
A strange thing is that as soon as I touch any metallic part of my guitar, the buzz goes away (this includes strings, tuners, bridge, jack, etc).....I guess this is probably a common annoyance and was wondering if anyone has any solution to my problem. Thanks for the tips guys.
You don't have a problem. You have a natural occurence. The only way to improve it is to shield all the pickups and cavities so that the shielding is doing some of the noise absorption that your body is doing. I always keep my hands on the strings, and/or I turn the volume knob down the moment I stop playing. The problem will be worse on single coils, and the "quality" of your gear is irrelevant, because any $1000 guitar with unshielded vintage single coils will be just as bad as your guitars. You don't have to check your bridge ground because the fact that the noise goes away when you touch ther strings or tuners, etc. means it already is.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Open the cavity and see what is the most common color wire in there that is soldered to the caps of all pots - that should be ground.
Then you need to have a wire going from any of the ground solder joints (but on most guitars that is on the volume pot) to the bridge or the trem spring claw.
Usualy guitars come with this in place but maybe yours got diconected or something.

ilia
Dex, he already stated that when he touches metal (bridge, strings, etc.) that the buzz goes away . . . this tells us that the ground wire to the bridge is connected and working properly. :-)

Mic
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2004, 12:28 PM

Re: Weird noise problem

Quote:
OK, here's the deal. At the moment I'm stuck with a very low quality amp and a crappy guitar.

I usually play with a lot of distortion and I couldn't help to notice that when I'm not playing (guitar plugged in and amplifier on, of course) my amp is not 100% quiet. Instead a steady buzz can be heard and it seems to be becoming more annoying each day that passes on... . A strange thing is that as soon as I touch any metallic part of my guitar, the buzz goes away (this includes strings, tuners, bridge, jack, etc). I figure it has something to do with me earthing some kind of electric circuit (or something like that) and I tried attaching a battery to the bridge, with no results of course... . The only thing that seems to keep her happy is my touch (how romantic... ).

I guess this is probably a common annoyance and was wondering if anyone has any solution to my problem. Thanks for the tips guys.
I have the EXACT same problem. the moment i touch any metal parts on the guitar, the buzz goes away. Also I get electric shocked when i touch my microphone or anything that has been grounded which i associate with buzzing going away when touching it. I don't consider my guitar to be crap (its a japanese made rg470) and my amp is marshall so i don't consider that crap either. So could you PM me if you solve the prob?

note i've checked the wiring in my guitar and it seems fine. and the fact that i get a shock when i touch my mic means the guitar has been grounded (correct me if i'm wrong).

Tags
emg active

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode