Weird sort of string-buzz on high e-string on my RG Premium - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Question Weird sort of string-buzz on high e-string on my RG Premium

Hi,

the high e-string of my RG827BK Premium has some sort of strange slight buzzing going on. It's not the kind of string buzzing you get when the action is too low, it sounds more like something is hindering the string from ringing freely. It occurs on the open string as well as when it's fretted. So, I figured it might be the bridge, and I checked the bridge saddle for dents/grooves, but the bridge saddle looks 100% fine.

At first I thought it's just a bad string, but I just changed strings and even with a new high e-string it's the same problem.

I have also tried lowering the PUs a bit (I have heard the magnetic pull might cause some weird buzzing), but that did not help either.

Anybody have an idea what could be causing this and how to solve this?

Thanks,
Lars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Re: Weird sort of string-buzz on high e-string on my RG Premium

Likely the locking nut. I had a similar issue on another Floyd Rose equipped guitar. You need a tech with a diamond file to correct it.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
Likely the locking nut. I had a similar issue on another Floyd Rose equipped guitar. You need a tech with a diamond file to correct it.
Thanks !

But if it's the locking nut, would it still cause a buzzing when the string is fretted?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 17

Yup it would, its got to be the nut as I've had a similar problem too ! I'll try remember what I did !
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2012, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedabob View Post
Yup it would, its got to be the nut as I've had a similar problem too ! I'll try remember what I did !
Thanks!

I guess I will have to have this fixed by a tech. I still have warranty for this guitar, actually.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 12:19 PM

My Premium also has a strange buzz on the high E string when the fine tuning screw reaches a certain point.

Make your high E go flat and then sharp and tell me in case it goes away.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon View Post
My Premium also has a strange buzz on the high E string when the fine tuning screw reaches a certain point.

Make your high E go flat and then sharp and tell me in case it goes away.
Thank you very much!

I tried what you suggested, and it seems like the fine tuner of the high e-string has to do with the buzz. Like you said, I tuned the string down (with the fine-tuner) and at a certain point the buzz was gone (or at least less noticeable), this worked both ways (turning the fine tuner up and down).
Is this normal?
Did you have anything done to your Premium in order to get this fixed?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:23 PM

When the buzz begins, I detune it as far as it goes (using the fine tuning screw), then I unlock the nut, tune it using the tuning machine on the headstock and lock the nut again.

Unfortunately, something's going on because what made my buzz go away (string buzz, just to make it clear ) also solved your problem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
When the buzz begins, I detune it as far as it goes (using the fine tuning screw), then I unlock the nut, tune it using the tuning machine on the headstock and lock the nut again.

Unfortunately, something's going on because what made my buzz go away (string buzz, just to make it clear ) also solved your problem.
Thanks again!

Was your string buzz also happening with the open string as well as when the string was fretted?

Seems like an easy solution, but still it's weird, isn't it?! Maybe the bridge saddle needs to be replaced?
Imagine a live-playing situation when you need to re-tune your guitar using the fine tuners and getting to the point where the buzz begins.....very annoying.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santuzzo View Post
Thanks again!

Was your string buzz also happening with the open string as well as when the string was fretted?

Seems like an easy solution, but still it's weird, isn't it?! Maybe the bridge saddle needs to be replaced?
Imagine a live-playing situation when you need to re-tune your guitar using the fine tuners and getting to the point where the buzz begins.....very annoying.
Replacing the saddle was my first idea but they're all the same. AFAIK, Edge tremolos don't have A, B or C (or 1, 2, 3) saddles like the original FR for instance.

I normally keep both pickups very close to the strings, so string pull was one of my theories.

When the fine tuner reaches that point, the open e string is the first to buzz like a sitar. We've been playing Children of the Damned (Iron Maiden) and I play Adrian's parts. It sounds terrible.

At first, only fretted notes would ring, especially around the seventh fret, but then the open e got pretty bad while fretted notes started buzzing a lot less.

Last edited by Typhon; 01-16-2012 at 09:47 AM.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Replacing the saddle was my first idea but they're all the same. AFAIK, Edge tremolos don't have A, B or C (or 1, 2, 3) saddles like the original FR for instance.

I normally keep both pickups very close to the strings, so string pull was one of my theories.

When the fine tuner reaches that point, the open e string is the first to buzz like a sitar. We've been playing Children of the Damned (Iron Maiden) and I play Adrian's parts. It sounds terrible.

At first, only fretted notes would ring, especially around the seventh fret, but then the open e got pretty bad while fretted notes started buzzing a lot less.
Thanks for your input and help!
For now I got the problem solved.
I will have to see how this goes when for instance tuning the guitar with the fine tuners in a live situation. But since the saddle seems to be 100% fine (as in no defect or scratch or anything) it looks like there is nothing I can do about it....
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Hate to dig up an old thread but I'm having the same issue on the high B of my RG927. I haven't tried your solution yet as I've just read it but today when I changed the string, it did go away for a few minutes. There has to be an explanation for it.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2014, 09:25 AM

I'm going to bet the issue is/was a loose tuner. Check the lock nut on the face of the headstock. If it's loose, the washer below it will vibrate. Doesn't even have to be the tuner on the string that's causing the issue.

Tags
string buzz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode