Weird tuning issue - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Weird tuning issue

Hey guys quick question here I have a slight dilemma but it's just enough to drive anybody slightly insane. I currently have an Ibanez J custom 8527vv seven string. It has the Edge Pro 7 on it. I've been doing technical set ups for over 15 years but this one I cannot seem to figure it out.

Here's my problem: After setting up my guitar about a month ago fully stretching the strings proper set up procedure fully stretched prior to locking the nut I set my relief and about .012 which is pretty standard. I tune to A standard Which is ADGCFAD, aka Korn tuning. Nothing is moved every everything seems good but my problem is that every couple days after I take it out I noticed at least one or two of the strings is sometimes slightly flat and the other maybe slightly sharp just depends so I use the fine-tune to retune it perfectly to my satisfaction. After a couple days I will notice a string or two might be slightly sharp and another slightly flat a little just a semitone. I retune and this constantly repeats itself after about a few days or so of not playing. Neck hasn't
moved. Here's the catch, I don't even use the trem and it is blocked with a Tremol-no. The bridge has not moved at all either. Maybe bad strings? Strings are Dean Markley signature series 10-62.
Any input would be greatly appreciated guys please share your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:39 PM

Re: Weird tuning issue

Disengage the Tremol-No, then check the screws for:

* Neck
* Nut

I'd lightly loosen them then screwing them back in to check them. Other than loose screws in places they should be solid I have no more tips. Some necks move more than others, and even my hardtail I have to tune when not having been played i a few days.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirataz View Post
Disengage the Tremol-No, then check the screws for:

* Neck
* Nut

I'd lightly loosen them then screwing them back in to check them. Other than loose screws in places they should be solid I have no more tips. Some necks move more than others, and even my hardtail I have to tune when not having been played i a few days.
Thanks for your input I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I checked all that when I set it up for ADGCFAD tuning. I'll check again.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 PM

I had something similar happen on an old rg 550 of mine one of the tiny little blocks that cranks against the string was in backwards.......... drove me freaking nuts till i noticed with the aid of a flashlight the little cup were the screw fits was on the string side.... double check be great to rule it out at least
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 15

Check your blocks for grooves on the underside. They may need to be replaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode