What is the best Ibanez for part out project? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Smile What is the best Ibanez for part out project?

Hey Guys
What do you think is the best Ibanez to buy for a project?
I want Edge or Lo Pro Edge with Cosmo Hardware and a 24 fret neck that will fit a aftermaket JEM body.
I see people using RG570 and RG550 but they have black hardware.
Or am I better off just buying a neck and getting some harware?
Who has custom Ibanez necks and what do you think of them vs the real thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Re: What is the best Ibanez for part out project?

ive used a few rg350 for mod,s out of the 4 that ive done i kept one for my self the rest been made up for friends granted my rg has no origonl parts since ive been re-working it for the last 6/7 years in its current form it has a 150+ year old mahogany body that i made out of a old desk i was left a original edge trem (the Floyd rose patent one by the fine tuners) the scratch plate is made from bell metal (4:1 ratio of copper to tin) that was a old town cryers bell i had melted down and cast into a sheet it was cut to size with a laser and hand finished on the edges i had a friend chrome plate and acid etch it using a wax drip method to make a one off mirror the pups are a full set of duncans (neck jazz, mid quarter pounder, bridge dimebucker) the neck is off a 90,s rg i found going cheep and finished off with a metallic black paint job
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 AM

i think a lot of the rg7xx series came with cosmo hardware as standard, whereas the 5xx tended to come with everything but (as a general rule, but not hard and fast!).

but parting out a rg7xx probably isnt the cheapest way to do it!

rich
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Can't really see this well but it looks like Cosmo. I have a 570 from 2001 like this one and it is Cosmo although the guy mentions Gotoh... The one I just put the Dimarzios in
http://orlando.craigslist.org/msg/2826470879.html
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 12:59 AM

IMO you should buy the parts you need on e-bay instead of a complete guitar to part out. Cosmo hardware has become more common than black recently. I often see necks with all hardware in cosmos. Original edge trems are getting a little harder to come by but cosmos lo pros should easy.

Just took a quick look and there is a Cosmos edge that looks in great shape for $110. Search Ibanez rg 570

Last edited by moonlight; 02-13-2012 at 01:06 AM.

Tags
jem custom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode