what is close enough, on a lo pro edge? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
what is close enough, on a lo pro edge?

Hello!

I have a Jem 90 which I think is NOT close enough returning to pitch, when I use the whammy bar.
When I dive it completely, and raise it as sharp as possible, the G-string(which is worst) have a 60 cent difference.
I have gone through all the stuff I could get my eyes on, such as studs, nuts intonation saddles, even changed springs, tuned the guitar down to DGCFAD, with 10-52 strings, and still it isn't better than this, my other lo-pro Ibanezes, is not as bad.

I was thinking..... could the jem90 have a softer wood, that can't stand the pressure, is the neck too thin to handle a whammy bar? etc....

Any suggestions?

What do you think is close enough to good return to pitch?

thanks
Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Vendor

Simple, if it's not close enough for you it's not close enough. If you haven't thinned the knife edges out it won't matter how good the studs are.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I've thinned out the knife edges, since I posted for a few hours ago, and it actuall helped with approx 30 cents on the G string, and the other strings pretty great, so it was a huge improvement.
(Thanks to your site, Rich, I read it again, and will probably read it again and again)
I also figured out it has the old studs, but as I recall, they should be ok since they're from 98.

btw 30 cents on the G string is too much, though it's about 15 cents each way.

Anyone out there who has a perfect guitar that handles all abuse?
I would like that, but what's the average out of tune ratio on these guitars.

Thanks
Tony
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Vendor

The studs aren't OK, they suck, replace with the new ones and you'll see even more improvement. Then a glob of Chapstick in the groove after it's all dialed in and you'll see even a bit more improvement. Not saying your G is going to come back perfect, just a boatload closer.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 PM
Fry

I have a dbk that returns to perfect pitch. I have a strobe tuner too! I can beat the crap out of my guitar and it will always return to perfect.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Vendor

After a pull up test too? [doubtful]
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 03:18 AM

ouch!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The studs aren't OK, they suck, replace with the new ones and you'll see even more improvement. Then a glob of Chapstick in the groove after it's all dialed in and you'll see even a bit more improvement. Not saying your G is going to come back perfect, just a boatload closer.
I have seven Ibanezes with lo-pro, and only one is with the studs with the vmark.
Do you mean that I should replace the studs of all the other guitars?
Or is it between a period of time they made those who sucks?

TK
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

after another fine tuning with my file, and watching very closely where I have to file the knife, and adding some lipbalm to the knife and studs, I'm down to 20 cent on G string after heavy bar abuse, and still returning to + - 5 after adjusting (push up, if I dive, and vice versa)

Incredible approvement for the guitar.

Just wanted you to know

Tony
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Vendor

The studs never had a good profile. It is possible to get a decent float with just filling alone but it's not the norm. I don't put new studs in every used guitar I sell but I do file the knives. I'm always surprised when one has exceptional return with the old studs.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Well, here we go!

I got the new studs mounted to my Jem90ham,
and this is incredible, the guitar that was a drag for less than a month ago, is now playing perfect, (well, almost)
but it's coming back to +/- 5 cents with HEAVY bar abuse.
So thanks to you Rich, this guitar is a monster.
(and by the way, did you know how cool it looks? lol)

You might hate me now, but it has a tonezone at bridge, and is wired like a 2020, the middle single coil is just there for finery.
But at least, the tone zone has the dimarzio logo.

Well, at least I am VERY happy with this guitar now.

Tony
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Vendor

As long as it's close enough

Tags
strobe tuner , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode