What to do about a dry rosewood board? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

What to do about a dry rosewood board?

I know the obvious answer here: bore oil. I have a bottle of this and use it on all my guitars. But I have a couple old guitars that I believe sat unoiled for long periods of time and the rosewood has kind of dried out.

When I hit these with bore oil, they look great initially but dry back out within a few weeks. I have an FP neck that I think I've oiled 5-6 times. Is there anything I can do other than keep oiling the board? Is the board just so dry that it's going to take a lot of oilings to bring it back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:52 PM

Reviews: 2
Smile Re: What to do about a dry rosewood board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
I know the obvious answer here: bore oil. I have a bottle of this and use it on all my guitars. But I have a couple old guitars that I believe sat unoiled for long periods of time and the rosewood has kind of dried out.

When I hit these with bore oil, they look great initially but dry back out within a few weeks. I have an FP neck that I think I've oiled 5-6 times. Is there anything I can do other than keep oiling the board? Is the board just so dry that it's going to take a lot of oilings to bring it back?
Play them a lot more because the hand oil is the best oil for any guitar.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 04:56 PM

Reviews: 11
Re: What to do about a dry rosewood board?

Quote:

Bore oil and typical fret dressings are nothing more then mineral oil or similar petroleum distillates. Wipes on shiny and looks pretty, but doesnt do anything in the long run. If you have vaseline (petroleum jelly) or neosporin, you can rub that on and it will have the same effect.

Just wait till tonight, I will cover rosewood as well as maple finger boards.

Orochimaru -> Hand oil? You mean the salt, sweat, dirt, mostly water concoction that comes out of your hand from playing? -.- Thats not the best treatment, and doesnt protect the board at all.
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
Bore oil and typical fret dressings are nothing more then mineral oil or similar petroleum distillates. Wipes on shiny and looks pretty, but doesnt do anything in the long run.
Pretty much everyone disagrees with this, including Rich:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_4.htm

Bore oil is considered the one thing worth a damn. Bore oil works fantastically on all my other rosewood boards, but these two specific ones (on very old Jems) seem extra thirsty.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 06:56 PM

Reviews: 120

You probably need to apply a few coats one after the other. Apply a wet coat, wipe excess, and repeat a few more times. Give the board enough to soak it all in.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

I think Rich also like Fret Doctor.

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:53 PM

You need to DEEP clean you boards with "Simple Green" to remove all of the gummed up waxes and solidified oils that are IN your board (these are what's keeping the bore oil from penetrating)

Use an old tooth brush to scrub with but keep the board wet.... allow the simple green to penetrate VERY deep. It WILL break down the gunk. It might take a few application/drying cycles to get the gunk to come out, but it WILL come out.

Allow the boards to dry AT LEAST overnight....... then sand them with 320,400,600. clean up the dust as well as possible then it's time to re-oil.

A little trick I've used is cutting the bore oil with naptha (dries very fast, but penetrates better than without). You can also use turpentine or kerosene for more working time. Mix it a 4:1 (bore oil:thinner) you should only need one application but it might take two... just play it by ear.

After you've gotten it to soak in DEEP and air dry, hit the board with some #0000 steel wool. Last, apply an uncut layer of bore oil..... let it sit for a half hour or so then buff it with a clean cloth. You might have to re-polish your frets when your done, but your whole board will look amazing afterward.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
I think Rich also like Fret Doctor.
The same company makes a product called "bore-doctor" which works a little better than fret doctor
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Pretty much everyone disagrees with this, including Rich:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/grunge/grunge_4.htm

Bore oil is considered the one thing worth a damn. Bore oil works fantastically on all my other rosewood boards, but these two specific ones (on very old Jems) seem extra thirsty.

I respect rick a lot, he certainly knows more about guitars then I do, but science is science. Petroleum distallates do NOT penetrate wood. It looks nice and shiny on the wood until your fingers pick it all up or it (slowly) evaporates.

Im halfway done with my neck help, and you will see

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The same company makes a product called "bore-doctor" which works a little better than fret doctor

This stuff DOES work,. it is NOT a petroleum distillate. I've been speaking to the owner of that, and while he wont let me know whats in it, Im willing to bet its BLO or TO, or something similar of that nature. You guys think I make this stuff up?

edit:
Most bore oil is mineral oil. some of the stuff is the "real deal" so to speak.

Last edited by linuxpenguin; 06-21-2011 at 08:21 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
This stuff DOES work,. it is NOT a petroleum distillate. I've been speaking to the owner of that, and while he wont let me know whats in it, Im willing to bet its BLO or TO, or something similar of that nature. You guys think I make this stuff up?
It's mostly plant oils, but I suspect that they mainly use walnut or almond oil with a natural bees wax preservative (the bees wax also inhibits putrification of the plant oil.... that's why woodworkers use it on salad bowls, cutting boards, etc........)

Bore oil will ABSOLUTELY penetrate if it's cut, but it has to have something to penetrate into........ that's why the extensive cleaning is necessary. When I wrote about the last coat, it just for looks....... hopefully Jesse's board will have full penetration BEFORE the last step.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM

Actually, if it weren't so friggin' expensive walnut oil is an AMAZING deep penetrating oil, but it HAS to be used with bees wax or it will go rancid.
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Actually, if it weren't so friggin' expensive walnut oil is an AMAZING deep penetrating oil, but it HAS to be used with bees wax or it will go rancid.

oops forgot about nut oils
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
You need to DEEP clean you boards with "Simple Green" to remove all of the gummed up waxes and solidified oils that are IN your board (these are what's keeping the bore oil from penetrating)
I would maybe buy this but I know this isn't the case. One of the boards in question is on my GMC. This thing is hardly played. Hell, the maple stem in the vine is still basically white. I'm 99% sure this thing is just dry. The previous owner said it was basically a display piece for many years. The other board is an '89 Jem FP board that was extraordinarily nasty when I got it. I did something similar to what you're describing and it has been very dry since. I keep applying oil and it keeps soaking it up. I guess this thing might just take a ton of oil after a really thorough cleaning?
Quote:
I use the Fret Doctor that they make. It is the exact same product as Bore Doctor, just sold in larger quantities.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

You know, I do look into this stuff before buying
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I would maybe buy this but I know this isn't the case. One of the boards in question is on my GMC. This thing is hardly played. Hell, the maple stem in the vine is still basically white. I'm 99% sure this thing is just dry. The previous owner said it was basically a display piece for many years. The other board is an '89 Jem FP board that was extraordinarily nasty when I got it. I did something similar to what you're describing and it has been very dry since. I keep applying oil and it keeps soaking it up. I guess this thing might just take a ton of oil after a really thorough cleaning?

I use the Fret Doctor that they make. It is the exact same product as Bore Doctor, just sold in larger quantities.

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

You know, I do look into this stuff before buying

Oops, I was wrong! O.o The "conventional" fretboard treatments are what I was told were not to be used. I mistakenly grouped fret dr against bore dr, I thought they were 2 separate things haha.

Yeah this type of stuff :

http://www.bigbends.com/nutsauce/ago...0Board%20Juice

they even openly admit to being 100% mineral oil.
I remember now, I was thinking about "Fast Fret" not "fret doctor"
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

These are probably pretty representative pics.

This is the GMC as received.

Guitar had been hanging on a wall for years as a decoration. Board was pretty dried out when I got it.

After I tore the guitar down and cleaned everything up.

Now the board has gone back to sort of like it was when I got it a couple months ago. I'm curious how many times I'll have to oil this? On most of my guitars, the boards stay nice and dark for long periods of time.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode