What height action on S series? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 7
What height action on S series?

Hey Guys. I have this 93 S series that I bought, that I adjusted the trem, truss rod, etc, and I was able to get the action down to about 2mm on the last fret from the bottom of the string to the top of the fret.. In the middle of the guitar it's about 2.5 mm I would say.. Using a cheap measuring tool, but wondered if that's normal or should I have lowered it more? I can't seem to get it any lower without buzz, but it works now without buzz.. Any suggestions ? I like the action but I've heard they can go lower?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: What height action on S series?

Mine are all at about 1.5mm at the 12th, even my cheap Korean S470. It sounds like your truss rod has way too much relief if the action is lower at the last fret than in the middle of the neck. I like to set the truss rod so that there's barely any gap at all at the seventh fret between the string and fret if you fret the string at the 1st and 15th--you can press it down at the 7th, but only just, and it mostly only rattles for a split second if you do. Some of my guitars have literally no relief and they play fine too--if you want low action, the less relief the better.

I used to try to go lower than 1.5mm, but bends and vibrato don't feel so good if you go *too* low.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Steeler. You're probably right. I had to adjust the truss rod big time originally and I might have not done so enough. It was like 4 or 5mm from the string to the fret in the middle of the neck.. It seems like the D string buzzes too much if I go lower. The little E string is about 1.5mm .. The big is about 2 mm.. It seems fine. But, I'd like to get the big E down a little. I'll try what you say. There is just a tad of bow in the middle of the guitar, but I was kinda afraid to keep twisting the truss rod. I don't have a truss rod wrench and instead I am using a socket and screw driver to turn which is a pain. I have to loosen the strings, etc, etc,.. I'm sure you've done this before ..
Thanks so much. I wait to hear what others say about their actions..
Tim
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Hello
The neck straightness is one of the parameters to consider to get a buzz-free and yet, very low action. I would suggest to set it with a precision straightedge and feeler gauges, if you have access to that kind of equipment. Basically you want to check the neck straightness so the straightedge should be lying on small metal blocks which lye on the wood of the neck and not the frets.
Another factor to consider is the fretwork by itself. Usually, on most guitars (especially on guitars with years of services), you will have the high/low spots among the fret heights which may cause the buzzing sound with very low actions. Getting rid of those uneven spots by leveling the frets and dressing them will bring you closer to the very low and smooth action. It requires a few tools specific tools (fret dresser file for example to recrown the leveled frets) and few ounces of elbow grease but it is well worth the investment, since in my humble opinion, the fret work is the most important difference between ''low end'' and ''high end'' guitars.
On my Ibanez AF75, that I set up a couple of days ago, there were uneven frets all over the neck. I leveled them, recrowned and polished them (also replaced the nut) and now my action is around 0.9-1mm at the 12th fret. And it plays effortlessly. However, I'm also using 13-56 strings in standard tuning so that helps too
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Arhythmic. I'm taking it to a Luthier to check out for me. He's about an hour and half away, but has all the correct equipment and comes highly recommended..
Tim
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 PM

Please let us know what the end result is Tim. Maybe a beginner like me can learn something from them.

Ihsan
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Hi Ihasan. I was able to get it a little lower, but the D string still buzzes if I get it where I want it. I'm taking it to a tech. I think the problem is a hump near where the neck meets the body because some dummy in the past probably shimmed the neck at this point because they maybe didn't understand how to move the Low Pro Edge trem, but that's just a guess. I've found a good tech about 60 miles away, but that's pretty close for me because I live in the boonies, and I'd not have it any other way!
Regards
Tim
(When Hunting Ducks. Go where the Ducks are!)
Irwin Rommel WW2
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, it was the truss rod from what I can tell. I have it where I want it. I love it.. Thanks.. I just had to turn the truss rod some more..It's still has a tiny bit of relief in the middle of the neck, but I like that.. Sounds great. I even like the stock pups..
Tim
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2013, 09:20 PM

Thanks for the update Tim.

Tags
action , s series guitar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode