What neck pickup for my RG550? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

What neck pickup for my RG550?

Hi players,

Sorry, if I've got problems to express in English, what I want. I never talked about stuff like this in English
I'm thinking about changing the neck pickup of my RG550. (the bridge pickup was already changed for a DiMarzio Tonezone) In the neckposition I've got still the original V1. And I don't think it sounds too "bad" or wrong for me. With a small modeling amp it sounded even very cool (contemplaning you can't get the best sound with one of these things anyway). But when I play it with a tube amp (Engl Screamer or Marshall JVM) and an effect board, (using usually only a dynamic echo or delay)I'm not satisfied and think it could sound better. The direction is right, but it should sound more consequent, I wanna have a brighter sound with more presence, of course a classical sound, "typical shredding sound", possible to make it sound a bit synth-like... I thought about a Paf pro. What would you say?

Last edited by Aziza; 05-30-2007 at 06:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 20
Re: What neck pickup for my RG550?

My uncle has a PAF Pro installed in the bridge of one of his Ibanez SZ's. The pickup sounds really articulate, I've also tried a JS1000 BTB wich has a PAF pro in the neck- I liked it. You could try effects to get the synth like sound with any pickup really if you ask me, PAF pro is an excellent choice in my book .
Regards
Jonny
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM

I found the V7 muddy and I have the V1 in me RG550 and just waiting for me Seymours to be delivered. The V1 sounds ok but not really what I want. I have EMG 85 in me other 550 and that is nice. I also have a SD Jazz in me 570 which isn't too bad.

Michael Romeo Uses Emg 81 and 85 for hes shred and classical stuff, check him out and see what you think regarding EMG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3XfbABIx0 - Romeo
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:15 PM

Reviews: 25

I got an RG550 with a fred in the bridge and a Paf pro in the neck. in the forth position the paf pro has an awesome sound, just like Dire straits, I friggin love it. I would definatly go the PAF PRO, it was born to live in an rg550 but especially in the neck position...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 PM

PAF Pro, Air Norton, Or Bill Lawrence L-500R(I'd recommend changing the bridge to an L-500XL, L-500s are very loud and the R would overpower your tone zone.)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions so far... I will take some time to think about it (and maybe there are some more answers). I realized, that I posted the thread in the wrong section... I hope the mods will forgive me I'm just a n00b

Tags
air norton , bridge pickup , dimarzio tone , dimarzio tonezone , engl screamer , marshall jvm , michael romeo , neck pickup , neck position , paf pro , tone zone , tube amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode