What is the Rectifier? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
What is the Rectifier?

what is this and what does it do to sound?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 AM

Re: What is the Rectifier?

If I recall properly, a Rectifier basically converts Alternating A/C current to a D/C current (as in all + or - voltages). The Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers let you switch between solid state and transistor recifiers. Solid state rectifiers are actually a lot more efficient at converting the voltages but I do find that the tube rectifiers do sounder warmer and have less edge to them.

I'm not an amp Guru and I could be wrong on what it does to the sound. Mesa engineering I believe holds a patent on the switchable rectifiers and that's what the whole rectifier series was based on, voltage rectfiers that could be switch from Tube to Solid State rectifiers (and vice versa).

(someone do correct me if I'm wrong)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 01:50 PM

^ I think he's right ^

Took a lot of the magic of the "rectifier" word away for me..

Other amps have tube rectifiers, others have solid state rectifiers.

Nothing special there anymore

I actually forced me to listen to the SOUND of the amplifier instead of being mesmerized by that amazingly cool word... "Rectifaaiiieeeerrr"

Needless to say, I never bought the mesa.
( however,... MESA still sounds mystical )
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 02:05 PM

fyi, mesa = table in spanish
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:37 PM

Reviews: 7

fyi, Boogie = Get down in disco lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 03:56 PM

mesa boogie = getting down and dancing on a spanish table.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 04:46 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddroyce
mesa boogie = getting down and dancing on a spanish table.

no is still a table.....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:01 PM

darn... so I guess "Mesa Boogie != table dance"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2005, 06:20 PM

"If I recall properly, a Rectifier basically converts Alternating A/C current to a D/C current (as in all + or - voltages). The Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers let you switch between solid state and transistor recifiers. Solid state rectifiers are actually a lot more efficient at converting the voltages but I do find that the tube rectifiers do sounder warmer and have less edge to them."

Actually the Mesa "rectifier" amps let you switch between a TUBE rectifier and a Solid State rectifier (diodes) - the tube "sags" (it's output voltage drops) the more power it draws which gives the amp a looser, spongier feel (what is generally referred to as the "brown sound"), which is generally considered a real bonus for more bluesey/soulful type playing, whereas solid state rectifiers are much more efficient, and don't sag under pressure, hence they reproduce transients and front end attack much better than tubes - much better for faster, more "metal" players - take this to the next conclusion (ie: tubes in general sag under transients) and you start to understand why some speed metal dudes prefer solid state amps - tho' why anyone would play speed metal is....... well, that's only my opinion..... ;^)

Tags
mesa boogie , mesa dual , solid state amp , solid state amps , triple rectifier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode