Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  David McCarroll 
#1 ·
what is this and what does it do to sound?

thanks

#2 ·
If I recall properly, a Rectifier basically converts Alternating A/C current to a D/C current (as in all + or - voltages). The Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers let you switch between solid state and transistor recifiers. Solid state rectifiers are actually a lot more efficient at converting the voltages but I do find that the tube rectifiers do sounder warmer and have less edge to them.

I'm not an amp Guru and I could be wrong on what it does to the sound. Mesa engineering I believe holds a patent on the switchable rectifiers and that's what the whole rectifier series was based on, voltage rectfiers that could be switch from Tube to Solid State rectifiers (and vice versa).

(someone do correct me if I'm wrong)

#3 ·
^ I think he's right ^

Took a lot of the magic of the "rectifier" word away for me..

Other amps have tube rectifiers, others have solid state rectifiers.

Nothing special there anymore :D

I actually forced me to listen to the SOUND of the amplifier instead of being mesmerized by that amazingly cool word... "Rectifaaiiieeeerrr"

Needless to say, I never bought the mesa.
( however,... MESA still sounds mystical )

#9 ·
"If I recall properly, a Rectifier basically converts Alternating A/C current to a D/C current (as in all + or - voltages). The Mesa Dual and Triple Rectifiers let you switch between solid state and transistor recifiers. Solid state rectifiers are actually a lot more efficient at converting the voltages but I do find that the tube rectifiers do sounder warmer and have less edge to them."

Actually the Mesa "rectifier" amps let you switch between a TUBE rectifier and a Solid State rectifier (diodes) - the tube "sags" (it's output voltage drops) the more power it draws which gives the amp a looser, spongier feel (what is generally referred to as the "brown sound"), which is generally considered a real bonus for more bluesey/soulful type playing, whereas solid state rectifiers are much more efficient, and don't sag under pressure, hence they reproduce transients and front end attack much better than tubes - much better for faster, more "metal" players - take this to the next conclusion (ie: tubes in general sag under transients) and you start to understand why some speed metal dudes prefer solid state amps - tho' why anyone would play speed metal is....... well, that's only my opinion..... ;^)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.