What are the Telltale Signs of a Re-Fret? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

What are the Telltale Signs of a Re-Fret?

Hello everyone,

I'm just back from playing a few songs at a BBQ at work tonight and, although my skill level does not deserve a Jem, I thought I would try out my newly acquired '89 VBK. I noticed in the show light that there was some sort of sealant or varnish running along the edge of all the frets. It's like the wood has a different finish right beside each fret.

The neck is in impeccable shape for being over twenty years old so it's made me wonder if the back of the neck has been refinished or at least sanded down and also if the neck has been re-fretted. How would I be able to tell? The thickness of the neck is similar if not identical to a '91 floral.

The guitar is in players condition, dings on the edge of the body and a little hardware tarnishing but other than that - a real treat to play!

Also, would the original volume and tone pots be 'painted' green (on white plastic) or 'molded' green plastic?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 06:07 PM

Reviews: 37
Re: What are the Telltale Signs of a Re-Fret?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodVaibes View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm just back from playing a few songs at a BBQ at work tonight and, although my skill level does not deserve a Jem, I thought I would try out my newly acquired '89 VBK. I noticed in the show light that there was some sort of sealant or varnish running along the edge of all the frets. It's like the wood has a different finish right beside each fret.

The neck is in impeccable shape for being over twenty years old so it's made me wonder if the back of the neck has been refinished or at least sanded down and also if the neck has been re-fretted. How would I be able to tell? The thickness of the neck is similar if not identical to a '91 floral.

The guitar is in players condition, dings on the edge of the body and a little hardware tarnishing but other than that - a real treat to play!

Also, would the original volume and tone pots be 'painted' green (on white plastic) or 'molded' green plastic?

Thanks for any advice!
i will be the first to say.
PICS PICS AND PICS.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Pics as follows...

Frets album;
http://s153.photobucket.com/user/noi.../Guitars/Frets

Volume Knob - original?;

Neck pics later - the light in this hotel room is rubbish.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge!
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Reviews: 37

looks all og to me.
usually you see some scarring of wood on a refret.
they definetly look played.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
looks all og to me.
usually you see some scarring of wood on a refret.
they definetly look played.
Thanks for checking it out andrewsfury! Good to know for the future.

Cheers!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM

Reviews: 15

1 - Little chips in the wood near the frets (mostly with maple necks).
2 - Fret doesn't sit all the way down to the factory cut
3 - Frets stick up a little bit from the neck.

If it's rosewood, you might not have any chips. It's a simple case of sanding some rosewood off and combining the sawdust with superglue. It's harder to hide it on a maple board.

Tags
fret , re-fret , refret , replacement , wire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode