What Would Playability Be Like? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 8
What Would Playability Be Like?

Hey.

I'm a big fan of the Fireman shape, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get one when they come out due to limited availability and price at the time ($900 is a lot to blow at once when you're young).

There's a guy on eBay who sells Fireman bodies that he's made himself. Now, I'm not expecting the most amazing craftsmanship in the world ever, but if I was to get a good neck (prestige, probably), and fit the guitar with quality parts, would it be likely to play well?

I don't know how much of a difference the body usually makes to things like this.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:17 PM

Re: What Would Playability Be Like?

I would expect playability to be fine as long as everything lines up
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.

That's what I was expecting, and the guy precision cuts them and stuff like that and only makes a small amount, so I'd expect them to be great quality.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Reviews: 11

The neck and bridge have the most impact on playability. If you got a high quality neck and high quality bridge, the body type really has very limited impact on that.

Building your own guitar with good parts isnt exactly cheap either, remember, "there is no such thing as a free lunch." (google it)

Lets run down evertyhing at "reasonable" rates

Lets assume hard tail, just to keep cost low

Body -> 125
Bridge -> 80 for a used gibraltar or gotoh or similar decent bridge
pickups -> 80 for some GFS pups
electronics -> 20 for switch and pots
Prestige neck -> 225 (this is OPTIMISTIC as hell, but I've seen it a few times)
tuners -> 40 for used gotohs
finish -> XX$. this is up to you. a simple oil finish would be 20 bucks tops
Various screws, etc -> 20$

So at best, we're talkin around 500$, and thats just using generic but decent parts. You could go cheaper of course, you can find deals on stuff too. But if you want to play really well, you really need to get a good neck and bridge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
The neck and bridge have the most impact on playability. If you got a high quality neck and high quality bridge, the body type really has very limited impact on that.

Building your own guitar with good parts isnt exactly cheap either, remember, "there is no such thing as a free lunch." (google it)

Lets run down evertyhing at "reasonable" rates

Lets assume hard tail, just to keep cost low

Body -> 125
Bridge -> 80 for a used gibraltar or gotoh or similar decent bridge
pickups -> 80 for some GFS pups
electronics -> 20 for switch and pots
Prestige neck -> 225 (this is OPTIMISTIC as hell, but I've seen it a few times)
tuners -> 40 for used gotohs
finish -> XX$. this is up to you. a simple oil finish would be 20 bucks tops
Various screws, etc -> 20$

So at best, we're talkin around 500$, and thats just using generic but decent parts. You could go cheaper of course, you can find deals on stuff too. But if you want to play really well, you really need to get a good neck and bridge.
Yep, I know. c:

I'm prepared to pay it. I'll be buying a GTC101 bridge, which is what the PGMs use, I believe. Quite cheap, too.

And I'll be buying most of the parts used (pickups, tuners, etc.) so that should keep cost down a little.

$500 is a great price for me - around 300. For that price I can't even get something like an RGA32MOL, so to get a great neck, bridge and pickups for the same price really is great.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meticadpa View Post
Yep, I know. c:

I'm prepared to pay it. I'll be buying a GTC101 bridge, which is what the PGMs use, I believe. Quite cheap, too.

And I'll be buying most of the parts used (pickups, tuners, etc.) so that should keep cost down a little.

$500 is a great price for me - around 300. For that price I can't even get something like an RGA32MOL, so to get a great neck, bridge and pickups for the same price really is great.

sounds good man, getting the prestige neck at a good price is going to be the difficult part here. Usually they sell for 300$+ If you can do you own installation and stuff, it will be a cost effective instrument for sure.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-22-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
sounds good man, getting the prestige neck at a good price is going to be the difficult part here. Usually they sell for 300$+ If you can do you own installation and stuff, it will be a cost effective instrument for sure.
Was just looking on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-RIK...#ht_500wt_1156

Fireman inspiration?!

Anyway...

Yeah, I'll be sure to keep a lookout for prestige necks at a good price. I'm aware that they never come cheap, though, so if it comes to it, I'm ready to bite the bullet and pay for it... but that'll be the last thing I buy.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
The only caveat to that is you've got to have a well crafted body for the neck and bridge to sit correctly, relative to one another. If the neck pocket is wrong or the bridge rout is wrong, even the best neck and bridge in the world aren't going to help until you do some big work.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
The only caveat to that is you've got to have a well crafted body for the neck and bridge to sit correctly, relative to one another. If the neck pocket is wrong or the bridge rout is wrong, even the best neck and bridge in the world aren't going to help until you do some big work.
Fair enough! Agreed! I will say though, most of the bodies are CNC though, so room for error is pretty low.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Fair enough! Agreed! I will say though, most of the bodies are CNC though, so room for error is pretty low.
Absolutely, unless the program itself is wrong I've only borught this up as I remember there was a thread ages ago somewhere about a builder who hadn't got the depth of the pocket correct and churned out a batch where nothing fit right, or only one level of guitar's neck sat at the right height or something.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Absolutely, unless the program itself is wrong I've only borught this up as I remember there was a thread ages ago somewhere about a builder who hadn't got the depth of the pocket correct and churned out a batch where nothing fit right, or only one level of guitar's neck sat at the right height or something.

Indeed. Thatd be so awful lol. Id have to get super creative with bondo or something
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Ya I was just going to say that CNC doesn't guarantee a fit, it just guarantee's that your cut matches the program

Tags
fireman , ibanez

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode