What's the best vibrato? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Question What's the best vibrato?

Hi, I'm just wondering, what is the best low profile vibrato (or trem)- The Original floyd rose pro, The Edge pro, ZR or any other? Thanks
Regards
Jonny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:11 PM

Re: What's the best vibrato?

Ibanez Lo pro edge really is a nice lo profile trem and very stable, one of the best around.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:46 PM
rgr

I like the original Edge the best, it feels the best to me. After that, OFR or Lo-Pro, haven't tried the new Edge Pro yet. Personally I think they should have stopped at the Edge, even Vai has an original on Evo.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
I like the original Edge the best, it feels the best to me. After that, OFR or Lo-Pro, haven't tried the new Edge Pro yet. Personally I think they should have stopped at the Edge, even Vai has an original on Evo.
With the new Edge Pro they don't need to go under Floyd Rose patents i think.

I quite like my Edge Pro actually. It's very stable for me and easy to use. I quite liked the LoPro's i've played and found them very similar to the Edge Pro on my RG. I've never played an Edge so far as i know so i can't comment on them
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:52 PM
rgr

The Edge has a "looser" feel than the Lo Pro, IMO anyway.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgr
The Edge has a "looser" feel than the Lo Pro, IMO anyway.
I guess that has alot to do with how it's set up. When i first bought my Edge Pro equipped guitar it was very loose to move around. I then changed the setup to sets of .10 strings etc and it's alot stiffer now.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chud
With the new Edge Pro they don't need to go under Floyd Rose patents i think.

They are paying FR royalties on the EP, note the "Licensed by" sticker on the bottom side of the trem.

[the reason it's a paper sticker is because they originally thought they wouldn't have to pay royalties, but lost $250,000 in a suit brought by FR. Since the patent on the Lo Profile FR is still in effect it's bound under it's patent.]
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:06 PM

The new FR quickloader looks pretty special, but OMG - talk about EXPENSIVE!!!
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:13 PM

most of the people here are going to say the edge is the best (and rightfully so, as they are a VERY higher teir trem).

i've played both an OFR and an edge, and i would give the nod to the edge. the edge has some extra mass added to it, so you get a more "weighty" feel, if you get what i mean, i have an 18 year old one, and aside from some rust on the intonation screws (the first owner of this jem was pretty negligent) and it works just dandy.

After playing an edge, the OFR feels a bit weird. there just isnt that much metal in it, so it feels a little flimsy in my opinion, i could be completely off, but it sure seems like it. the one great thing about the floyd is that the arm is attatched with a nut, so you can adjust tension on the arm on the fly, whereas the edge's arm can either be limp, or sticky, but you cant switch between the two.

that said, i must say i prefer the edge. even though theres no nut holding it in, theres a clip system at the bottom of the arm that locks it in really well, and i feel a lot more comfortable getting violent on that vs. the OFR. the orgiginal edge is IMO the best lisenced FR trem out there, just wish ibanez kept it out longer.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
They are paying FR royalties on the EP, note the "Licensed by" sticker on the bottom side of the trem.

[the reason it's a paper sticker is because they originally thought they wouldn't have to pay royalties, but lost $250,000 in a suit brought by FR. Since the patent on the Lo Profile FR is still in effect it's bound under it's patent.]
is that the reason for the edge pro II and edge III?

but back to the topic. i don't really like one over the other, of edge pro and floyd rose. but after using a floyd for a while, playing on an edge pro is a bit easier.the tension is noticeably smoother. that may appeal to some, but it doesn't bother me much. i like the ability to adjust the arm tension quickly though. the screw on the floyd allows you to do just that.

Last edited by knarfzednem; 12-20-2005 at 09:24 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:20 PM
Vendor

They pay on the EP2 also, but it IS the reason for the EDGE 3.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:21 PM

played them all, edge is still my thang.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:25 PM

yeah i think the edge II and III were a way of getting around the patent so they wouldnt have to pay floyd rose 17 bucks (or something like that) for every edge they produced

...*sigh* if only ibanez wasnt so cheap and kept the original edge around eh?
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:27 PM

so, what about the edge pro brought the need for a patent from floyd rose?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 09:30 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
...*sigh* if only ibanez wasnt so cheap and kept the original edge around eh?
Like they'd be putting that on the entry level stuff that gets the III?!

The EP is covered UNDER FR's patent for the lo profile FR, or so the court ruled.

Tags
equipped guitar , floyd rose , floyd rose pro , pro edge , vintage trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode