When is an Edge too worn? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

When is an Edge too worn?

As topic; When is the knife edge on an Ibanez Edge/Lo Pro Edge too worn to even consider filing smooth and keep using.

Got myself a 540R with the knife edge worn beyond anything I've seen before, can someone give their take on it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: When is an Edge too worn?

In my very limited experience with this sort of thing, Stick a fork in that, it's done.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:12 PM

Reviews: 120

I'd try and file it back to shape. The inserts are hardened steel aren't they? You may have to adjust both sides and re-intonate the saddles, but if the trem in general is okay otherwise then definitely give it a go.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. The trem is in very good condition for a guitar from 1988, much better in fact than my Jem505 which is considerably "younger".
Strange thing is that the left side knife edge looks almost new, so this must've been a major setup issue.

I'll give filing and intonation a go, I'll get back to you with the results
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

So, filed the knife edge a bit, has a bit better shape now but I'm very unsure. Would be amazing if there were any replacement knife edges available (but I won't beat that dead horse)

Overall condition, would be sad to get rid of as it's original -88:

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Reviews: 10

I think your are setting yourself up for frustration here - I don't understand how you can make that work like that. I'm with jono -I think you need to move on and replace it. If you do try it then I will be curious to see how it goes...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:53 PM

Definitely looking heaps better, I'd be giving it a go. Just make sure you lubricate the pivot points, you may be right to go.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:18 PM
Vendor

Nicely done, make sure the edge is not sharp though, needs to be dull.

Bottom line the only criteria that matters is will it return to tune. If it does it's fine.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 06:16 AM

Reviews: 3

After filling that side I suppose you need to fill also the straight side to compensate both sides in order to avoid having the bass side far and the treble side closer to the pickguard. Finally it is possible to loose some clearance from the baseplate to the pickguard, so checking that and sanding down the pickguard must be needed, am I right?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:32 AM

Like Rich said, if it works, then don't stress out about it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 03:43 PM

I've taken more abused trems back from the brink, back to holding tune really well. My guess is with some lube it will be fine.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Definitely looking heaps better, I'd be giving it a go. Just make sure you lubricate the pivot points, you may be right to go.
Thanks, yes I'll give it a go when the rest of the guitar is up to par as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Nicely done, make sure the edge is not sharp though, needs to be dull.

Bottom line the only criteria that matters is will it return to tune. If it does it's fine.
Thanks Rich, means a lot coming from you. I've read the guide on your webpage many times, and have performed it on at least 3 guitars with excellent results, and I very much hope this one will be able to properly return to zero as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
After filling that side I suppose you need to fill also the straight side to compensate both sides in order to avoid having the bass side far and the treble side closer to the pickguard. Finally it is possible to loose some clearance from the baseplate to the pickguard, so checking that and sanding down the pickguard must be needed, am I right?
Nah, it's nothing extreme in terms of distance compared to the straight side, so a simple intonation will likely suffice. The 540r does not have a pickguard, so that won't be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
I've taken more abused trems back from the brink, back to holding tune really well. My guess is with some lube it will be fine.
That's what I'm hoping for here as well, thanks for your input!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Not super bad, but not super good either. At least the trem isn't touching the body anywhere.

Have not tried making it floating yet, but wish me luck!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2017, 10:24 PM

I'm sure once it's set up it'll be fine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode