Where to buy Ibanez size fretwire? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

Where to buy Ibanez size fretwire?

I think I'm going to replace the frets on one of my Ibanez necks. I measured the original frets, and they are about .115" wide. Everywhere I look, the widest I see is .110. I found one place with .118.
Does anyone know where to get the same fret size that Ibanez uses in their RG570/RG550? Also, I'm thinkin of going with Stainless Steel.
Anyone have any websites or information on where to buy fretwire?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 07:16 AM

Re: Where to buy Ibanez size fretwire?

not sure what type is used, but I am pretty sure you can get some from stewmac.com. Have you checked the specs on the ibanez.com page, or tried looking at the catalogue scans on ibanezrules.com? Might be able to get what kind they used there.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 11:12 AM

Different models use different fretwire. Joe Satriani uses more vintage-style medium frets. Steve Vai uses Dunlop 6105, which is a "tall jumbo" which is not terribly wide, but it has a tall crown. (I like 6105 as well.) Dunlop 6100 is a true "jumbo" which is very tall and very wide. I don't like wide frets because it produces a wider crown as the fret wears, and that can make proper intonation a little more difficult.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/maintenance/frets/

If you're thinking of stainless fretwire, you're going to be even more limited in your choices.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

As I mentioned, it'll be for a RG550 & 570, which use the same fret size. All my Ibanez guitar's frets are about .115" wide, except for my RG3120 which is narrower. I prefer the wider frets because they don't have as much of the "Railroad track" feeling when you slide up the neck. I'll check the Jim Dunlop site. Thanks.

Tags
fret size , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jim dunlop , joe satriani , medium frets , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode