Where to drill neck holes for DIY Jem Kit - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

Where to drill neck holes for DIY Jem Kit

Hey guys! I recently got an Ibanez Jem DIY guitar kit. I have a small error. The body came with holes to screw the neck on, but the neck didn't come with any. Where am I supposed to drill the holes? If it had an actual neck pocket, it would be easy, but this guitar doesn't. Also, the neck is a bit loose in the neck pocket. This shouldn't be too much of an issue though.

Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:05 AM
Banned

Re: Where to drill neck holes for DIY Jem Kit

hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earn View Post
If it had an actual neck pocket, it would be easy, but this guitar doesn't.
What do you mean? Is the cavity/pocket for the neck in there or not?

Quote:
This shouldn't be too much of an issue though.
Not at all.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 PM

I'm not understanding you about the neck pocket, you said it doesnt have an actual neck pocket but then said the neck fits loose in the pocket. Can you clarify that?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 07:40 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
I'm not understanding you about the neck pocket, you said it doesnt have an actual neck pocket but then said the neck fits loose in the pocket. Can you clarify that?
THIS^^^

Normally I would say to loosly install both e strings with the neck clamped in the pocket. Align the neck until the strings are in equal alignment, flip the body over and mark your neck through the existing holes. If there's no neck pocket (I suspect there is), then you'l need a lot more help than alignment and finding hole drilling locations.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I meant that the neck pocket follows into the pickup cavity. This is making it hard to pin-point where to drill the holes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
I meant that the neck pocket follows into the pickup cavity. This is making it hard to pin-point where to drill the holes.
I see. Then clamp the neck into place, under the following guidance :
- most important : scale length. Make sure you position the neck exactly where the scale criterion is satisfied. (average length from nut to each saddle)
- the string offset from the fret edges should be equal for higest/lowest strings (high E/low E in the common case)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Ok that makes sence. This is another common type of neck pocket used usually seen on 24 fret bolt on shredder type guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
I see. Then clamp the neck into place, under the following guidance :
- most important : scale length. Make sure you position the neck exactly where the scale criterion is satisfied. (average length from nut to each saddle)
- the string offset from the fret edges should be equal for higest/lowest strings (high E/low E in the common case)
^^^ These will be your 2 most important factors for placing the neck; scale length & string alignment.

1. Loosley clamp the neck into the pocket and put the bridge in it's appropriate spot. *Remember to set the saddles on the bridge in a good spot where they'll have enough travel both ways to set intonation later on.*
2. Then install something to mark the position the 2 outer string. I use either spare strings or thicker sewing thread for this. You don't need to tension up whatever you use tight, just enough so that it is straight and not flopping around.
3. Measure from nut to bridge saddles & make adjustment to get the proper scale lenght. At the same time you can make your adjustments to get the appropriate string allignment.
4. Once everthing is set tighten the clamp a little, just enough to keep the neck from moving out of position (you don't want to put alot of pressure and deform any frets). Re-measure the scale length and check the string alignment to make sure that nothing accidentally moved. Then flip everything over and mark your screw positions through the existing screw holes on the body.

Last edited by madasahatter; 06-03-2015 at 01:04 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help. I asked my metalwork teacher if I could use the school's drill press to drill the holes to make sure they are dead straight. He said it would be fine.

Also, is the scale length 25.5"? It is the 24 fret version.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 11:01 AM

Your scale length is the distance from the nuth to the bridge saddles. The distance from the nut to the 12th fret will be 1/2 the scale length. The way to determine scale length of a neck if your not sure is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret then double that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:57 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madasahatter View Post
Your scale length is the distance from the nuth to the bridge saddles. The distance from the nut to the 12th fret will be 1/2 the scale length. The way to determine scale length of a neck if your not sure is to measure from the nut to the 12th fret then double that.
Absolutely correct. I will add that you need to measure from point where the string leaves the nut. Measuring from any other spot will throw off your length.

If this help clarify: The scale length is the measurement from where the contact point of the string leaves the nut to the point where the string first touches the saddle. Since the saddles are (hopefully) adjustable, you'll need to position the contact point at the center (or just forward) of the saddles travel.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Okay sweet. Thanks! One last thing. How far should I drill down into the neck?
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 04:34 AM
Banned

Is it AANJ ? Supposing yes, I used 40mm wood screws for mine. Find the correct screws for your specs, subtract from your screws length the width of the body (measuring from the recessed cavity for the screws on the back of the neck pocket of the body). There will be 3 different lengths : one for the two "bridge"/right-side neck holes, one for the bottom left and one for the top left.
IIRC, the drill depth should be about 20mm into the neck.

Last edited by panix; 06-05-2015 at 05:11 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 06:02 PM

As long as the holes are deep enough to accomidate the screws and you don't drill through the top of the neck you'll be fine. In general the depth should be in the vicinity of a few millimeters shy of drilling into the back of the fretboard.

Best way to figure out how deep to drill the holes is:
1. Get your neck mounting hardware together and dry fit it on the body.
2. Measure how far the screws protrude out from the neck pocket.
3. Double check that measurement against the neck to make sure the screws won't be too long. If it's good move on to the next step. If the screws are too long you can either cut them down to size of get shorter screws.
4. The measurement from step 2 will be how deep to drill the holes. Get the appropriate size drill bit and mark the drill depth on the bit. (A piece of masking tape works great for this).
5. Drill the holes in the appropriate locations. It's best to use a drill press so that your holes stay perpendicular. A hand drill will work fine just be extra careful to keep all in alignment. Drill the holes in gradually pulling the bit out a few times. This will help clear the shavings so the bit doesn't get clogged and/or too hot.

*Do these steps for each screw (mainly the measurement to make sure they won't be too long) as the neck heel and/or recessed area for the ferrule may not be uniform thickness/depth.

Last edited by madasahatter; 06-05-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode