Where to get my neck done - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 AM Thread Starter

Where to get my neck done

I have a Jem 555 as everyone knows from the many times I posted about it. I did get the neck customised, and it was refretted and 21 - 24 were scalloped and its great. It still doesn't play like a Jem 7 though and thats because of the Jem 7 neck. My parents won't let me buy a new Jem, but they will pay to customise this. Please I don't want to hear that it doesn't make sense because I know, but thats what they said. I wanted to ask, who should I go to that can make me a Jem 7 neck for my Jem 555? I live in Singapore and I'm moving to Melbourne in a month but I'm willing to pay for shipping and all that. Thanks a lot and I don't mean to keep posting but I just want to get this right. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Where to get my neck done

If I don't get a new neck do you think it makes sense to have my radius changed behind the neck to make it flatter and play amazing like the Jem 7 then?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:25 PM

you must try to find a local luthier first, that way you will save shipping costs.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 PM

When I saw that title I thought it meant you needed surgery, lol
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 01:18 PM

I think that by the time you're done paying for the work and shipping, you'll be spending more than your guitar is worth. With the right person doing the work, it'll be a reasonable copy of a Jem7V neck, but it still won't be the guitar you want.

If the wrong person does it, then you'll have a ruined neck and a worthless guitar.

If it was me, I'd wait and save up for the real thing or at least wait for a 7V neck to come up for sale and replace your 555 neck with it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 07:42 PM

I'd keep an eye out for a real JEM (or RG) neck on the used market. It will likely be cheaper than having the work done by a good luthier, and you can sell the old neck to recover some cost. Or learn to love the one you have.

Your parents are trying to teach you a lesson, but they will become less interested in paying for upgrades when they find out what it will cost them (for this and future upgrades). Time to get a job, save your money, and be responsible for your own purchasing decisions.

Or you could learn to build necks and do the job yourself -- save some money, get it exactly the way you want it, and learn a skill in the process...

Good luck.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all of you guys. I know I seem not to make a lot of sense, I just want the nest I can get out of this guitar, because I probably won't be able to get the Jem 7 now, for another year, maybe 2. Thanks for all your help, and if anyone has anything more to help me with, please go ahead.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone have the specs for how flat the contour of the Jem neck is because then thats all I need to make my neck like that.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 09:37 PM

Check the Jemsite specs page. You can also find it on the Ibanez site.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I've checked the site and it doesn't give the specs for how flat the contour is.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:40 AM

If you are moving to melbourne soon, check out www.ormsbyguitars.com Perry is in Perth and is an amazing luthier, he could build you what you want no problem, but a custom neck with that inlay is going to run you probably $700 or $800, that money plus what you could sell your 555 for would pay for a used VWH.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot

Tags
jem neck , local luthier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode