Whispering a prayer (Question about Lo pro Edge) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Question Whispering a prayer (Question about Lo pro Edge)

Hey guys, I was checking Vai playing "Whispering a prayer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AoHJd84aQ

and Does anybody knows about how is it possible to achieve that kind of softness with the bar with another trem like for example an original edge?,or this magic can only be achieved with a Lo pro Edge? Also Check out this link at 4:35 on the 5th string in the fret #4 he pulls the bar from C# to F#, Again my question is Do I really need a LoPro Edge bridge or could this be done with an original edge trem too? If so, does anybody have a video to show me or an ibanez trem expert, cause I want to install a nice trem to play songs like Whispering a Prayer (already own a sustainer)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Whispering a prayer (Question about Lo pro Edge)

I doubt Steve Vai is limited by which of those two bridges he uses

A lot of it will depend on the rest of you guitar's set up, but pretty much anything you can do with a Lo-Pro, you should be able to do with an Original Edge.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 02:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I doubt Steve Vai is limited by which of those two bridges he uses

A lot of it will depend on the rest of you guitar's set up, but pretty much anything you can do with a Lo-Pro, you should be able to do with an Original Edge.
So, an Edge Trem could do that work perfectly? I need more opinions so I can decide if buying an Original Edge or Lo Pro edge, please help, anyone
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Doesn't matter what bridge you use, it's in the hand movement. You can alter the feel by changing the number of springs to get it more to your liking.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

So, I can get original edge for my rg350ex (install it by a luthier) and achieve what I want (Go to notes from C# up to F#)? I thought that Vai preferred the Lo pro edge maybe because the string stopper bolts on a original edge could limit the trem action for that song in particular, I saw his hand movement and it looked effortless.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritchwie View Post
So, I can get original edge for my rg350ex (install it by a luthier) and achieve what I want (Go to notes from C# up to F#)? I thought that Vai preferred the Lo pro edge maybe because the string stopper bolts on a original edge could limit the trem action for that song in particular, I saw his hand movement and it looked effortless.
You could definitely do the same things with a lo-pro than with a Original Edge, but i believe the lion claw on the Jem allows you to pull further and go higher in pitch, but im not really sure, i don't have a Jem so i can't test it, also are you aware that Vai is using a sustainer for that song right?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 02:45 AM

Using a Lo-Pro or Edge tremolo won't make no difference whatsoever, it's like Rafafas says Sustainer is the key to your problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:39 AM

OP says he already owns a sustainer.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 09:01 AM

Haha I need to learn how to read, my bad disregard sustainer bit.
Trem should make no difference still.

I just remembered something it's been a while since I've played whispering a prayer, so Steve hammers notes from nowhere meaning he doesn't pick the note just hammers it with his left hand and lets the sustainer and bar do the rest and also volume and how hard you pick or hammer the note will determine how the sustainer effects the note.

Last edited by vaibag; 09-03-2015 at 10:03 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Hahaha! I was about to answer about that I've already said I own a sustainer, I've just bought an Original Edge from *bay, will be coming soon (I hope) and Install it on my RG350EX I will send it to my luthier so he can install it (he knows how to route and all the stuff) but maybe someone here can help me in the future on how to setup the trem properly, I would like to learn
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:50 AM

Read this if you want to learn about setting up a floating trem.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Tags
ibanez , jem 7 white , lo pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode