Whitening yellowed white guitar - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Whitening yellowed white guitar

I have a Jem 7v that is slowly turning cream. Was wondering if there are anyway to whiten it back to white?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 PM

Re: Whitening yellowed white guitar

Only by spraying it as it's poly, poly yellows over time the light also hastens this process.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 08:05 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by faekildare View Post
I have a Jem 7v that is slowly turning cream. Was wondering if there are anyway to whiten it back to white?
There really should be no way possible you have a jem7v thats turning cream. The whole point of the JEM7vwh is that it does NOT turn cream because their is UV protectancts in both the clear coat AND the white paint.

That aside, white paint turning cream isnt able to be restored unless you sand through it or repaint it. Either way, very difficult.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thats what i thought too, with the basswood veneer and stuff. I just left it in the case and it's slowly turning cream...The previous owner also seem to have written something on the body which is slowly showing out as what he has written on the body is remaining as white.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 05:02 AM

Just to clarify there is no paint on your guitar only pigment and there is no clear coat on your guitar either. Unless your jem was made in the last few years(if it's turning yellow then that will not be the case) as Ibanez now use UV curing acrylic as there top coat this will not yellow.

It's a shame as I have stripped a jem this had happened too and it was not just the surface, this can happen quicker on one batch of guitars than on another batch for reasons I won't go into. Anyone who has sprayed polyester will tell you why. as I said you would have to sand it down and there will be plenty of room to sand down and then paint the guitar white and then apply clear coat, be careful what material you use or you might end up having to do it all again, hope this is helpful to you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 07:48 AM

Reviews: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
There really should be no way possible you have a jem7v thats turning cream. The whole point of the JEM7vwh is that it does NOT turn cream because their is UV protectancts in both the clear coat AND the white paint.
Thats funny as 'I' happen to own a Jem 7VWH that is turning a cream colour....so it must be possible

I have an earlier year model 7VWH with an ebony neck and from my understanding the UV protector was not applied to a number of the earlier versions.

faekildare, what year model is your Jem?

I tried to follow this issue initially as I was concerned about it, however as I have been told by many on here - 'embrace it', Mr Vai's own Evo has the same issue!

BTW - I thought that 'the whole point of the Jem7VWH' was that it is to be used as a musical instrument, not that it does not turn cream????

-Wolfram
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 08:57 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfram View Post
Thats funny as 'I' happen to own a Jem 7VWH that is turning a cream colour....so it must be possible

I have an earlier year model 7VWH with an ebony neck and from my understanding the UV protector was not applied to a number of the earlier versions.

faekildare, what year model is your Jem?

I tried to follow this issue initially as I was concerned about it, however as I have been told by many on here - 'embrace it', Mr Vai's own Evo has the same issue!

BTW - I thought that 'the whole point of the Jem7VWH' was that it is to be used as a musical instrument, not that it does not turn cream????

-Wolfram
My sarcasm detector is broken so bear with me... when steve vai wanted a white guitar, he didn't want it turning yellow over time, so he worked with ibanez to develop" super white". The color is NOT supposed to turn yellow over time.

Evidently "supposed to" and actuality are two different things. Looking at pictures of evo and flo, though they both still look very much white o.O

And yes, hardy har, the guitar is meant to be a guitar
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-05-2011, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Mine was made in 07... I presume they already had that UV thing on. Besides, my Jem is in the case most of the time, don't think it sees UV alot. LOL.

Side note: I don't play that well (No sarcasm intended). I just happen to like the guitar a lot.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 08:33 AM

I don't deal with guitar finishes a lot but I've worked in the industrial/residential paint market for about a decade now. I know guitar finishes are a bit different than what I deal with, but a lot of the newer finishes, like UV cured acrylic urethane, got it's technology from the industrial products I deal with every day. Both product lines have similar issues.

A few points:
1) UV cured urethane means that the product uses ultra violet rays to harden and cure. It doesn't not mean that the product protects anything from UV rays.
2) UV inhibitors protect colors from fading. They do not prevent yellowing.
3) Petroleum or plant oil based products (pretty much anything organic) will yellow over time.
4) Lack of UV will preserve color but accelerate yellowing. Yellowing is most noticeable on light colors.
5) An acrylic topcoat should not yellow. If it is clear though, the product beneath it can still yellow and show through the non-yellowing clear coat.

Any finish that is alkyd/oil based WILL yellow over time. It's simply the nature of the product. UV inhibitors will help keep color from fading. They will NOT prevent yellowing. LACK of UV will actually accelerate yellowing. We use to deal with this all the time with oil based paints. Paint the trim in a room with oil paint and watch the main room stay white for a long time with plenty of sun on it. Check the closet and see how yellowed the trim has gotten.

Waterborne finishes generally do not yellow. However, if the pigment or paint under an acrylic clear coat is an oil based product, it will still yellow, even if the clear on top of it does not.

Last edited by gideond; 07-23-2011 at 08:54 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Reviews: 3

I like creamy white UV 7P WH and 7V WH. Send me all the bad ones to me, i will be happy!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode