Why do they do setups like this? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 03:58 PM
Vendor

Re: Why do they do setups like this?

The answer to the question is it's a decent way to easily keep the trem level after changing strings and tuning. But I will restate, on any Edge, Lo Pro, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, or most non Floyd Rose trems that have huge tops to the studs. never pull all the strings with the trem level or it will blow off the studs [especially if the studs are lubed as they should be] and with decent chance take a chip off the edge of the trem rout. I've already explained this before so I'm not going to rewrite the whole thing.
Rich is online  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 04:50 PM

Part of a basic setup is balancing the tension between the strings and springs. This could be the first time the guitar is ever set up or if you changed something that required a new setup. Obviously if it's the first setup ever done on the guitar the balance has never been set. If it's already been set, anything that you change on the guitar that would change the tensions on the strings or springs would cause the bridge to no longer sit level. Meaning you have to do this particular part of setting the bridge level again. This would require you rebalance the string-spring tensions so that the bridge does sit flat. Using a block as shown is a quick and easy way to do this. That is why people use this technique.

There are several ways to do this, what I have been describing is just one of those ways. Some people like to do it this way, others do not. It's whatever works for you.

Those videos are not the be-all, end-all of guitar setup & repair. Just because the things I mentioned were not shown in the videos does not mean that they don't exist. People do change string gauges or swap out bridges. If they do change these things they will need to redo part or all of the setup.

If you don't understand the concept by now I don't know if you'll get it anytime soon. I don't know how much clearer I can make things. Maybe someone else can try explaining it differently to you.

*Edit. Also, as rich said you do not want to pull all the strings off of those types of bridges otherwise the bridge will fly off the posts. The only way to safely take all of the strings off at once would be to loosen all the tension off the springs... meaning unscrew the spring claw to the point where you could take the springs off. So when you would go to put everything back together you could use this technique to get it all back setup properly.

Last edited by madasahatter; 02-08-2021 at 04:58 PM.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
The answer to the question is it's a decent way to easily keep the trem level after changing strings and tuning. But I will restate, on any Edge, Lo Pro, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, or most non Floyd Rose trems that have huge tops to the studs. never pull all the strings with the trem level or it will blow off the studs [especially if the studs are lubed as they should be] and with decent chance take a chip off the edge of the trem rout. I've already explained this before so I'm not going to rewrite the whole thing.
how come that guy ben eller blocked the edge trem level on his video, put different gauge strings yet nothing happened, nothing got blown off

Last edited by Fowleri; 02-08-2021 at 10:06 PM.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
how come that guy ben eller blocked the edge trem level on his video, put different gauge strings yet nothing happened, nothing got blown off
Rich essentially just said there is a risk of the trem coming off the studs. Just like there's a risk of dying when you go drive a car... It doesn't mean that every time someone drives they're gonna die... It means there's a risk.

When Rich is performing a setup normally it's a customers guitar. Therefore the risk of damaging the guitar far outways the benefits. But also he has his way of doing it and he is efficient at it. So this technique probably won't save him any time anyway.

Ben does this because just like anyone else... He has free will and does it how he wants to. There's multiple ways of doing this as long as the end result is the same that's what matters. Let's not go down this endless rabbit hole again. This subject was beat to death last week.

Last edited by JsXLine6; 02-09-2021 at 08:15 AM.
JsXLine6 is online  
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowleri View Post
Why you choose the flashy way out my guy?
Well I never thought of it as flashy... It is the only way I know how to keep the trem level while I mess around changing strings or changing tunings. To me it is almost like cheating, its the easy way out! I don;t really know how Rich or other pro's keep the trem level when making changes. But it is easy to block it, change from E standard to drop Db or D standard.

Mark my words... Someday you will try it and like it!!
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-09-2021, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEagle View Post
Well I never thought of it as flashy... It is the only way I know how to keep the trem level while I mess around changing strings or changing tunings. To me it is almost like cheating, its the easy way out! I don;t really know how Rich or other pro's keep the trem level when making changes. But it is easy to block it, change from E standard to drop Db or D standard.

Mark my words... Someday you will try it and like it!!
Simple they setup the angle and action of the guitar with the old strings on, then put a block on small cavity or something under the bridge to put it forward, then change strings, intonation or whatever and then remove the block or towel under the bridge

And voila the bridge remains as it was before putting the block
FireEagle likes this.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-10-2021, 09:35 PM

As someone that has setup a hundred Floyd-style bridges(and am a huge fan of the Edge, Edge Pro and Edge LoPro), this is how I do it(assuming string/bridge height is already set):
#1-I block the trem at the proper level(angle) and crank the spring claw IN(because I don't want it floating during setup)
#2-put fresh strings on because its somewhat pointless to intonate old strings(at least old enough to have any grit, corrosion or dents from the frets) and stretch them a bit so they hold tune
#3-set the intonation with the guitar in playing position(not laying on its back)
#4-once all strings are intonated and tuned to pitch, I lock the nut
#5-remove the block and back the claw out until the tuning is as close to pitch as possible
#6-fine tune and check for bridge angle(which should be spot on).
#7-work the bar and check for proper return to pitch(if it doesn't, then I figure out and fix the problem).

I'm not saying any other method is wrong, but this works really well for me.
FireEagle likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode