Wierd Lo-Pro Edge 7 problem... big problem! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Wierd Lo-Pro Edge 7 problem... big problem!

Hey guys!
The other guitar player in my band recently got an RG7620VK. When he got it, it had the trem blocked, two springs in the back, and slightly high action. He wanted the trem unblocked, another spring, and lower action, so he let me work on it. I've done all of these adjustments on my Dillion's Floyd with no problems at all. So first, i added another spring { i'm not sure where the spring came from...i think it came from one of my Dillions. It seemed to fit just fine, though} to the back, then unblocked the trem. The angle of the trem was a bit too high, so i loosened the strings, and screwed the claw screws in a bit. Tuned back up to pitch, and the anlge hadn't changed too much, so detuned and screwed them in more. I had to screw the claw screws in to the point of where there's no threads showing on the screws to get the trem to sit correctly. By the way, he uses gauges 9-54 { 52? } on this guitar. After the angle was good, i got to work on the action. It was fine on the lower end of the neck, but the upper frets needed to be lower. So, i raised the posts a little to release the set screws, unscrewed the set screws, and lowered the posts a bit. After the action felt good, i screwed the set screws back in. The guitar felt great, except for an odd buzzing on the 1st fret high e string that appeared after i lowered the bridge. Odd.
So, my friend took the guitar home that night and played it, he loved the new setup. The next morning, he woke up and..... the bridge was raised EXTREMELY high off the body, and the action was equally as high! He detuned and reblocked the trem.
What happened, and how can i fix it?!?!?
Please help!
Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 05:40 PM

Seems you have some kind of trem-adjusting pixies in your area...Id get that looked at if I were you LOL. No, Seriously, thats a weird predicament. The laws of physics tell us that it couldnt have moved on its own, especially if it was stable before that, as you described. So the only thing I can think of is humidity, but I have no idea why it would have caused such a massive change in just one night.
-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 06:35 PM

The springs stretched.

If they haven't been under tension for a long time they'll need to stretch, but you shouldn't have had to tighted the claw quite that much to the the trem level. Nor should they have stretched that much, that fast.

Rich? Any ideas there?

Mic
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Vendor

Cold setup into hot room? Weak springs? Grimlins?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 12:47 AM

I bought a Universe used once and had a similar problem, though not as dramatic. The owner before me had blocked his trem because it was continuously high. He had it strung with 12's...lol But anyway, the only thing I could figure is that after being under all that tension, his springs were wasted, so he blocked it down. Once released, the old springs were just screwed and didn't hold well. So I replaced them all and it seemed to clear up.

I also have 4 springs on alot of my guitars now. But for you, I'd just try and see if a new set of springs does the trick. After that? I don't know...lol A 9 guage set of strings shouldn't be a problem for the three in there. So I'd start there.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-11-2003, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
Cold setup into hot room? Weak springs? Grimlins?
I'm going with Gremlins . . .
:P

Mic

Tags
claw screws , trem block , upper fret , upper frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode