Wilkinson trems? What's the big deal? (if any) - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Wilkinson trems? What's the big deal? (if any)

I'm working on picking up a Carvin Bolt to get something a little more Stratty (but not too Stratty) into my arsenal. I noticed that all the Bolts come with Wilkinson trems. Do these trems offer any major technical improvements over standard Strat bridges? How's the feel? Any cool features? Are they strung-through the block?

--B

PS--I know it's not the same as an Edge or Lo-pro, so I don't need to be lectureed about how much a Wilkinson sucks compared to those!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 11:19 PM

If memory serves correctly, Wilkinsons are very adjustable. Everything from string spacing to string height can be adjusted, i think.

You can also get it with Fishman piezos installed. Dunno if Carvin offers it on the Bolt, though... but it's worth calling and asking!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 12:20 AM

wilkinsons are the best nonlocking 2 post trem on the market. in a trio with a graphite nut and some locking tuners, you have a near locking trem killer. when installed correctly, these trems have killer flutter and are very responsive. not as much as a floyd due to the shorter baseplate, but alot better than any other strat type trem. scoops and other trem tricks are easily done with it, too. i am debating actually buying one from carvin or fishman to retrofit my rt650. excellent value and less headaches than a double locker. i personally would rather own a double locker(lo-pro), but if it HAS to have a strat trem, the wilkinson is the king of that jungle.
BTW, the only wilkinson's i have played were on brian moore's. if brian moore would get off its dead ass and come out with a USA model with a FRO instead of those korean FRL like on the i series, they would have a damn good market.

rich
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 04:10 AM

Quote:
if brian moore would get off its dead ass and come out with a USA model with a FRO instead of those korean FRL like on the i series, they would have a damn good market.
I agree
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 01:50 PM

I played the Wilkinson a couple of times and I loved it. My trem fell apart on my Platinum series BC Rich Warlock and I'd like to use the Wilkinson as a replacement. I have to do some heavy modding to that axe anyway. It was my second guitar and used it heavily for so long that I cannot bring myself to completely retire it.

Mike 777 Haug
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 03:05 PM

My guitar teacher swears by them. Put a set of locking tuners on, and it will handle just as well as a floyd. They can be set to float, and you can pull off all those crazy whammy bar tricks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:26 PM

They dont handle as well as a double locking floyd nothing does
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:31 PM

Can't resist saying something here. I have 2 guitars with Wilkinson trems on them so I know how good they are. But guess what? The SAT30 trems that Ibanez is putting on some of the SA models are as good or possibly better. They're very Wilkinson-like, super stable, and solidly built. I have also tried pretty much all of the older Ibanez two-point fulcrum trems (the TZ's, etc), and the SAT30's are way better.
stratoskier

Tags
brian moore , carvin bolt , graphite nut , locking tuners , rich warlock , strat bridge , strat trem , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode