Will the stove harm my guitar? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Will the stove harm my guitar?

Hello all. I had a crappy guitar before my Prestige Ibanez and it suffered of neck warp. I left it all the time in the stand and I was told that it was because of the stove heat during the winter.

So what did I do? Now that I bought my prestige I sacrificed the warmth of the stove just to keep the guitar safe (I know..). But the winter just started here and it's almost impossible for me to play in this room with no source of calefaction on.

Also, I've been told that the heat of the stove will de-humidify the room just like the AC does (which is what I'm looking for since too much humidity during winter will end in neck warp). Is this true?

I want to know what to do. I keep my guitar in the case all the time when I'm not playing now. You dont have an idea of how of a pain it was to write this with cold fingers.. imagine what it is to play the guitar Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Re: Will the stove harm my guitar?

I have seen guitars that were left in the stand with the adjustment all the way up to the headstock. Its not good

PUT YOUR GUITAR STAND ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE NECK HEEL.

Now saying that. Its gotta be something else thats causing your bad action.
You most likely need a truss rod adjustment. Its not hard and every guitar player needs to know how to do it.

If that doesnt solve the problem then you may need a new neck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2011, 11:26 PM

Reviews: 11

As Rich says, keep your guitar in a room you would be comfortable in. I have a hard time believe a heater caused your neck to warp on its own. If left to sit, sat right on the heater, or was humid as hell, then yes all those together could lead to some neck warpage. Keep in mind, cold weather will bow your neck as well.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:05 AM

Reviews: 34

Depends on the neck. Unfinished necks react much more readily to changes in temp/humidity.

I have found that keeping an even temp is important. We went away one Christmas for three days and my wife turned the central heating off. All the guitars were fine apart form the Jem which had an oiled neck. It was unplayable and needed full set up.

I would say don't keep the guitar in a very cold room, or have a huge variation in temp if you can avoid it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Depends on the neck. Unfinished necks react much more readily to changes in temp/humidity.

I have found that keeping an even temp is important. We went away one Christmas for three days and my wife turned the central heating off. All the guitars were fine apart form the Jem which had an oiled neck. It was unplayable and needed full set up.

I would say don't keep the guitar in a very cold room, or have a huge variation in temp if you can avoid it.

neck bow and neck warping arent the same things really
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 AM Thread Starter

Ok, just to clear some things out:

What my old guitar had was a huge front bow between frets 1 and 5, and it could not be fixed with a truss rod adjustment. I might be being paranoid about it.. since also the crappy wood quality of the other guitar must have been a huge factor of the neck bow..

And if I turn the heater on just a little and keep the guitar in it's case to let her get used to the new temp, would that do bad too? I've never heard of a house where you have to keep the heat off to play the guitar..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 12:59 PM

A guitar must be kept at 45% humidity to keep the wood healthy. If you are using a wood stove the keep warm you are drying the air out below 45%, and that is bad for your guitars. Who ever told ya you want the heater to remove moisture is an idiot who should not be listened to.
keep the guitar stored in a case with a hydrometer and or humidifier if needed to maintain 45%. Temp really doesn't matter as long as its less than 100 and more than freezing. Just try to keep sudden extreme temp changes from occurring.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Ok. I need to get an hygrometer then.

By the way, with what seasonal changes are you supposed to tight/loose the truss rod?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM

I never understand why I, seemingly, am the only one that gets guitars that dont warp when I dont store in temperature controlled vaults 24/7....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
I never understand why I, seemingly, am the only one that gets guitars that dont warp when I dont store in temperature controlled vaults 24/7....
I know, that's what I want too. I turned the gas heater on at the minimun so it'll let me be inside the room without so much cold.. it should not be bad enough for the guitar. And I'll keep the case open so the change is gradual as the room warms up.. it's the best I can think of.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:17 PM

Reviews: 120

Don't sit the guitar directly in line/in front of the heater. Put it in a case when not using it.

I keep mine in my studio hanging on the wall. In winter it gets quite cold, and I only get out there a few evenings a week. The heater is on when I'm in there, not otherwise. My guitars have held up just fine.

Put it in the case away when not using it if you are concerned.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode