Will TRS 101 fit to loTRS cavity without any difficult woodwork ? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Will TRS 101 fit to loTRS cavity without any difficult woodwork ?

Hi Jemsite

I have an Ibanez RG470 MiJ from 2001 year. Guitar is playing briliant, but it's have some bugs. First problem was neck pocket - It's 1mm bigger than neck, so neck was moving a little bit - now it's ok, but I thinked all japanese ibby guitars had better quality control.

But now a problem is...bridge. Looks like this guitar was played a lot, there is a lot of scratches on the body, frets are not in perfect condition and...bridge.
There is no any arm, saddles aren't in good condition, knifes are used a little bit.
Fortunatelly it's staying in tune very well, but setting that bridge and saddles is total macabre... :/, and in near future It will be a rubbish.

My question is - Is TRS 101 <or loPRO> Made by TRS/Takeuchi will fit directly to bridge cavity ? Please don't tell me about used Gotoh or OFR - I know I can buy it from second hand, but In Poland prices are higher than in other countries, and buying from another country is so difficult for me...

<Sorry if i did mistakes... I hope you can understand what I'm trying to explain you :P>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:29 AM

Re: Will TRS 101 fit to loTRS cavity without any difficult woodwork ?

Hi there,
All the Ibanez TRS style tremolos have 99% same base plate dimensions, so you can swap them with each others without or minimal woodworking (filing or sanding a few milimeters maybe). But a lot diferences i material quality, the best of TRS family is Lo Trs (not Lo Trs II) I supose your rg has Lo trs. My advice is do not as much pay attention on cosmetic wears and look, as long as it stays in tune correctly. Try to "tight" and maintain your trem to keep it in good condition. I think that changeing Lo trs with any trems you mentioned above is pointless. None of them is not durable as lo trs.
If you have to change it try to get Schallers FR. I swaped my ILT1 with it, since we are both from Europe, Im sure you could get one for a decent price.
Pozdrav!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Ok but unfortunatelly i don't have an arm...and I can't find alternative in local music stores...

Now I'm blocked it...but >>I WANT FLUTTER ;( <<

Thx for your reply...

Do you know where I can buy arm and new saddles cheap ?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:48 AM

I cant help you for the saddles, 'cause in europe is really hard to find spare japparts, especially lo trs saddles. And if you find its a quite expensive. Guitar builders are more orientated to Germans Schaller. Quality is great, parts are not expensive, and most inportant of all is you can easy get them.
Im not quite into lo trs dimensions, but as I can see the bar has tread on the side that gets in arm socket. As you cant get another try to make one. Try this, take two bolts, one of 5mm, and one of 6 mm. 'cause the bars are usualy that diametar. And try to crew one insted of trem bar. If you are lucky and you could do that youll find whats the thread step. If it goes hard and wont, dont force it otherwise youll damage iner treads cause its another tread step. For example if you made it easily to screw 5 or 6 mm screw to arm socket you will then know that you need 6 (diametar)x1,5 (step) tread. After that its easy to make your own custom bar.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Banned

If it's a 2001--it should have a LoTRS.
Swap that out for an Edge....you'll need to rout the cavity a bit.
tutorial is at projectguitar.com

Last edited by GodzillaPopcicle; 06-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Noo...It's rg 470 made in japan - fujigen...

Speclist (1998-2004)
Name: RG470
Years: 1998-2004
Areas: EU (2000-2001) / JP (2001-2004) / US (1998-2002)
Made in: Japan
Finishes: BK (Black) (1998-2002) / BP (Black Pearl) (2003-2004) / CA (Candy Apple) (2004) / CB ([1] Caribbean Blue; [2] Cosmic Blue) (2000-2004) / CF (unknown) (1998-1999) / NP(New penny)(1999-2001) (unknown) / RB [2] (Royal Blue) (199 / RC (unknown) (2002-2004) / SA (Sangria) (2003) / SG (Smoke Green) (2002) / TI(Titanium ice) (unknown) (2000-2001) / ZS (unknown) (2003)
Body
Body material:
Basswood
Neck joint:
AANJ
Bridge:
1998-2002: Lo TRS tremolo
2003: Edge Pro tremolo
Hardware color:
1998-1999: Black
2000-2004: Cosmo Black
Neck
Neck type:
Wizard II
Neck material:
1-Piece Maple
Fingerboard:
Rosewood
Inlays:
Pearl Dots
Frets:
24 / Jumbo
Electronics
PU Config:
HSH
Neck PU:
IBZ V7 (Vintage 7)
Mid PU:
IBZ S1 (Single 1)
Bridge PU:
IBZ V8 (Vintage
Controls:
1 Volume / 1 Tone / 5-Way Lever
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

http://projectguitar.com/tut/trs2lopro.htm
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Omg..sorry I didn't read your post correctly :P sorry

I saw that tutorial, but I don't have necesary equipment to do this...and I think I'm not good in woodworking, so probably I'll crash my only one guitar :/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Banned

All you need is a rotary tool (Dremel), tape and some sandpaper....might be able to borrow a Dremel.
it's alot easier than it looks.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 18

I really dislike that project guitar site. All the pictures have always been tiny and you can never get images with enough detail in there to see what they're doing.

Jimmy

Tags
lotrs bridge rg470

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode