Wiring help needed... - for Legacy 4x12 cabs - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Wiring help needed... - for Legacy 4x12 cabs

I'm trying to find a way to make my Legacy cab have 2 inputs. *They come with 1 input and 1 output. *I want 2 mono inputs... so each input would go to all 4 speakers.

If it helps any, each speaker is 16 ohms, and the entire cab is 16 ohms. *

Can anyone help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 09:36 PM

Wiring help needed...

What are you trying to do with this Jay?
I could see two inputs if you split the speakers in half to make it a stereo cab.

You would have signal from two power amps going to the same set of speakers in effect. No workie.....
Do you have more details?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 3
Wiring help needed...

Can't have two heads going into one speaker even if the watts and ohms match up? *

Hmm... might have to just sell the damn Legacies...
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-24-2000, 01:52 PM
rgr

Wiring help needed...

Didn't you bring up this topic in the last forum? *The answer is the same as in the "2 Amps, 1 cab... Special AB Box" topic you started in the gear section of the old forum. *

I would bet that the 1 input, 1 output jacks on the Legacy cabs are wired the way you want. *They are both connected across all the speakers, not sure why they marked them in and out. *They are wired that way so you can use a mono amp (Legacy) and plug into one cab and then run a speaker cable from that cab to another cab, this would make it a parallel load of 8 ohms. *I don't own a Legacy but cabs have been made like this since the early Marshalls, it's pretty standard unless it's a stereo cab which the Legacy isn't.

If you plug a head into each of the jacks you have now put the output transformer of the unused amp into the circuit, that means you are dumping the signal from the amp you are playing through into the output of the one that's not being used, not healthy for the amp. *You've hooked 2 GOES-OUTTAs together. *

I thought you were talking to Bob Bradshaw about a special signal routing box? *That's the only way you are going to be able to do something like this.

Roger

Tags
power amp , power amps , speaker cab

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in