At Wits End... Buzzing on 1st and 2nd String Can't Adjust It OUT! - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

At Wits End... Buzzing on 1st and 2nd String Can't Adjust It OUT!

Hello,

I am dealing with a USA Custom 6 String RG770 (I believe). It was made in the USA in the factory near Philadelphia. Its a 1991 model, with the snakeskin finish, 24 frets, rosewood fretboard, and mahogany body. It's a really cool guitar, and the most expensive one I own.

I bought the guitar used, and it was a player. I couldn't set it up right, and brought it in to a local luthier to check it out, and turned out it needed a fret leveling. He said that would be cheaper than refretting, and that new frets were not needed. I got the guitar back and all seemed good for about 1 year. Now keep in mind I wasn't playing this guitar much, and my attention to detail wasn't as keen as it is now. This problem might have been here all along, but I just never noticed it, for whatever reason(s).

I get a HORRIBLE sounding buzz, but it's more of a "harmonic" sound. When you fret a note, you hear the note ring out, along with this horrible "atonal harmonic" on the following strings and locations:

e,b.........1-8 slight buzzing, 9-20 very bad, 21-24 no buzz
d............1-17 slight to moderate, 18-24 none
EAG........all seem ok, nothing out of the ordinary

The action measured from the top of the 12th fret to the string:

e 1.00mm
E 1.35mm

The neck has moderate bowing with moderate/slight clearance measured from the E string at the 7th fret. Guitar is tuned 1/2 step down.

Now, I have a collection of good high end Ibanezes that I've set up, and this site has helped A LOT in me learning how to do that. My main axe is a RG565 which just rocks!! The sustain on that thing is unreal. This guitar, which is supposedly "better" because it cost "more", just doens't play right at all compared to the other ones. I have some sentimental value placed on this USA Custom because it was signed by George Lynch and Kerry King.

I want to get this guitar fixed and playing right, cost is no object! I just don't know where the problem lies. I even raised the tremolo stud out so that the strings were WAAYYYYYYY high (like .25"), and it STILL DOESNT elminate the buzzing. There is no way the height of the trem is a factor here. I feel it lies in the neck or the fret leveling job. The guy that did it stands behind his work. He is a semi well known guitar craftsman. He has his own line of guitars, which he makes himself (name witheld for obvious reasons).

Are there any suggestions as to what this might be?

Thanks,

Six
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Re: At Wits End... Buzzing on 1st and 2nd String Can't Adjust It OUT!

have the guy who leveled the frets check it out again.
are you sure there is enough bow in th neck.
you should try loosening the truss-rod a half turn or so and see what happens. you can always put it back. if you have a long straight edge, put in on the fret board and see if it is not touching at the first few frets.
where are you located. USA? which state?

john
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2005, 12:45 PM

From your description it seems there is a back bow, as most of the buzzing seems to be in the middle of the fretboard. If so, then tighten your truss rod.

Perhaps, raise the action on the G, B, and E side of the trem slightly to address the buzzing issues on the 1st and 2nd strings.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

I am located in se pa.

THe neck definitely has bow, a concave shape. Could some of the frets be a little high? Could the fretboard be twisted?

I would like to find a great luthier in the NY,PA,NJ area and just drop it off and let a real pro deal with it. Like I said, I want it fixed and playing as good as a top end Ibanez should.

Thanks!

Six
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Check out www.frettech.com and contact Rob Di Stefano. He could take care of that for you. He's located in New Jersey.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:32 PM

sounds like you just need to straighten your guitar neck.

Tags
fret board , fret level , fret leveling , kerry king , local luthier , mahogany body , rosewood fretboard , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode