wood squeaking using the Lo-Pro - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

wood squeaking using the Lo-Pro

I've JUST noticed this: I recently bought an used rg2027. When I 100% depress the bar (pull-down) I hear a squeaking-wood noise located inside the neck pocket. In fact, after a full bar depression, if I push with a little force the neck area close to the body, I hear another subtle squeak and then nothing more. Seems like the neck is not totally sit on the pocket...The 4 neck screws are already very tight. I've checked the neck and body area near the pocket and there aren't any cracks or similar. Maybe shims are needed in the neck pocket? Please help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 11:31 AM

We talked about this a long time ago, like years ago, so I don't know if it'll come up in a search. Take the neck off when you're restringing some time and clean out in there with a flat file, or even 600grit sandpaper. (lightly) Then take a countersink and countersink the screwholes in the neck slightly, to remove any lifting wood that may be affecting your compression. Then make sure that when you're screwing it back on it's pressed in tightly. Some guys put baby powder in there before reassembly. Its usually not a big problem but it is annoying.

Oh if all else fails, take the whammy bar out.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Vendor

The majority of the time pocket creak on an ibanez is from the side of the pocket. First make sure the strings are properly alligned on the neck. You should find the neck is tight on one side of the pocket and you want to relieve that side of the pocket just enough to let it breath and not creak. I use 220 wrapped around a rule. Don't go any lower in grit or it will flake the paint on the edge of the pocket.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

So this fact is not harming my guitar at the moment, right? Should I fix this straightaway or can I do it in a few months? Because the squeaking doesn't annoy me (it happens only on 100% depress, when the bar tip is very close to the body!), so if this DOES harm my guitar, I would take care of this asap!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich
The majority of the time pocket creak on an ibanez is from the side of the pocket. First make sure the strings are properly alligned on the neck. You should find the neck is tight on one side of the pocket and you want to relieve that side of the pocket just enough to let it breath and not creak. I use 220 wrapped around a rule. Don't go any lower in grit or it will flake the paint on the edge of the pocket.
Yeah, in fact the neck is tight on one side (the squeaking one, I seem to hear) and quite loose on the other (I can stick a paper on it, while on the first I can't).
But is this only a fix to get rid of the squeak or I MUST fix it otherwise I would damage my guitar?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Vendor

Nothing is being damaged if it is pocket creak but the first thing you should do is check that the strings are perfectly alligned.

Usually you only get pocket creak when switching trem directions. Pullup it creaks once, push down it creaks once. It usually doesn't keep creaking just using the trem in one direction so I'm not positive pocket creak is your problem. Move the neck over just enough to relieve that side and test it to be sure.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2004, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It usually doesn't keep creaking just using the trem in one direction so I'm not positive pocket creak is your problem. Move the neck over just enough to relieve that side and test it to be sure.
How can I do that?
Another thing: can this issue affect tuning stability?
Thanks for your help Rich, really appreciated as usual!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesso
Quote:
It usually doesn't keep creaking just using the trem in one direction so I'm not positive pocket creak is your problem. Move the neck over just enough to relieve that side and test it to be sure.
How can I do that?
Another thing: can this issue affect tuning stability?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:03 AM
Vendor

No effect on stability.

Loosen the neck screws 1/4 turn, move neck, tighten. Strings at full pitch, no need to detune. The retune after you shift the neck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 04:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much Rich, I'll try this tomorrow!

Tags
neck screws

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode