a wood stripped threads solution ? Methyl methacrylate - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

a wood stripped threads solution ? Methyl methacrylate

Hello, I just found this :

at our local Lidl (a german-austrian market chain) with many cheap but good quality foods/clothing/tools, etc..

Well this thing is tough! I filled a 8mm dia hole, then tapped it and screwed a wood screw, 5mm ext dia, 3.9mm inner thread. By screwing the wood screw by hand, I could not remove it using all my strength, pulling with a pliers. Here are some shots :

Screwing unscrewing feels more like rosewood than beech. And feels stronger, harder yet more flexible than epoxy.

What's the deal with this stuff? Do you guys have it in the USA? And if not, maybe cause it is alergic, or hazardous ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 12:56 AM
Vendor

Re: a wood stripped threads solution ? Methyl methacrylate

With Amazon everything is available in the US. The next time I want to put a 4mm screw in an 8mm hole I'd try that, but that's not really "thread repair" either. Although I'm sure you could develop the right techniques needed to do thread repair with it. I didn't see anything water thin so you can build it up slowly, or medium viscosity to build faster, looks more like an epoxy viscosity, and with these small screws you can easily twist in half I'd be very careful with it.

I do see they use it in CA formulas to cut down on the brittleness, which is probably what's in this "Insta Cure" I use, and Stew Mac's "Hot Stuff", etc.

Additives and Speciality Formulas

In addition to stabilizers, cyanoacrylates may contain thickeners, colorants, tougheners and other property enhancing additives. Once cured, CA polymers are clear (unless coloured), hard thermoplastic resins with high tensile strengths. However, they tend to be somewhat brittle and typically have low to moderate peel and impact strengths. To reduce brittleness, fillers such as polymethyl methacrylate (PMMA) are sometimes incorporated into the formulas.

To increase the toughness, some manufacturers use various dissolved elastomeric materials. Known as rubber-modified products, these specialty formulas offer improved overall toughness. Recent advances have led to flexible 2-cyanoacrylate formulas, which remain somewhat flexible when cured.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panix View Post
By screwing the wood screw by hand, I could not remove it using all my strength, pulling with a pliers.
But how strong are you?

What's your max bench press? Or your max pull down? Biceps curl?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:31 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
But how strong are you?

Come on man, you know it's not about strength, it just requires the right tool.

You do remember the Sawzall is the most useful tool on a luthiers bench right?

[That's an old joke here that's so old I don't think anybody but you would remember it! ]
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
But how strong are you?

Average strength, I suppose. The force (pull) I applied must have been at least 50 Kg (I stopped before the test wood started to crack). Also 50 Kg is about the average pull tension of a 7 stringer.

But what's more impressive is that this thing will not break. Applying side impact with a hammer did nothing to weaken the threads.

I got some itchy fingers tho, which didn't last for more than few hours.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 03:26 AM
Vendor

You're using the wrong tool again.

Most good thick cured resin will hold a screw from a hammer depending on how far you drive it in. You'll bend the screw, probably even a neck screw.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Banned

This formula is used for prosthetic hip, knees and also in flooring, pavements, also in dental medicine. From my tests it cures so much harder yet more elastic than common epoxy. The MMA-enriched CA you mentioned would be nice to test, but cannot find it. Will do more tests with different epoxies tho.

The side hammer impact is not something that will happen in a real-life guitar situation unless someone forces his guitar to take an extreme header, in which case the MMA threads will be the least of his troubles. And by the time the MMA threads start collapsing the equivalent CA threads would be long cracked and destroyed.

Last edited by panix; 12-15-2015 at 06:02 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Vendor

Quote:

But what's more impressive is that this thing will not break. Applying side impact with a hammer did nothing to weaken the threads.
Quote:

The side hammer impact is not something that will happen in a real-life guitar situation unless someone forces his guitar to take an extreme header, in which case the MMA threads will be the least of his troubles. And by the time the MMA threads start collapsing the equivalent CA threads would be long cracked and destroyed.
I'm not the one that brought it up.

Tags
methacrylate , methyl , stripped , wood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode