Woody custom necks/bodies? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Woody custom necks/bodies?

I was searching that auction site (UK) and came across some ibanez style necks and bodies going under the name of woody custom.

I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these parts?

Also, any idea if the necks would fit an AANJ?

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 04:15 AM

Re: Woody custom necks/bodies?

Yeah m8
I bought a few off them to try em out.
Their necks fit their bodies exactly, but they required a bit of modding to fit the original Ibanez AANJ pockets.The necks are undrilled so mating up with body neck holes is not a problem.
The bodies are TOTALLY unfinished, they are literally shaped from blanks, pick up cavitys routed out and a couple of drill holes drilled for electrics. They come without rout for cavity covers but really the finishing off dont take that long. I suppose for the price they are going for they are not that bad.
The trem route requires modding too (especially if your intent on fitting an Edge or LoPro)

However, the ones i bought seem to be slightly 'out' where the body shape was concerned. They were not a true RG match. The original ibanez pick guard overhung the bottom horn by about 2mm. I think that is why they sell there own.
If you are looking at making a custom 570 etc where no pickguard is needed this wouldnt be a problem.
For the money they sell for they really are not that bad ( but dont bank on a perfect 'ibanez' copy)

Check the relief/level of the neck FIRST if you get one. I found on some of their necks that the truss rod made no adjustment.

Hope this helps m8.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 07:31 AM

Reviews: 34

I have often wondered about them as they seem to good to be true.

Liggy, say that you would you use them for a "high-end" custom, or just a cheap copy instrument.

I suppose if the quality control on their necks is not 100% you would want to know what you are doing before you buy.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Ok, cheers for that info.how do the necks feel? Are they similar to the Wizard neck, do they feel cheap?

Is the original routing done to fit the OFR then if you have to do extra to fit an edge in there?

I was just pondering about putting a cheap RG together, I don't mind stumping up for good hardware and pickups, but the body/neck seems really cheap.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRGGHHH
Ok, cheers for that info.how do the necks feel? Are they similar to the Wizard neck, do they feel cheap?

Is the original routing done to fit the OFR then if you have to do extra to fit an edge in there?

I was just pondering about putting a cheap RG together, I don't mind stumping up for good hardware and pickups, but the body/neck seems really cheap.

The necks feel OK, they are pretty well made but the profile doesnt really resemble either the wizard or wizard ll. IMO The nearest neck out there to compare em with would be a str*t neck, but with a flat spot on the radius.

The original trem routing is very shallow, similar to the 540Radius one, where the trem seems to sit on top of the body rather than in it (like the OFR).
I increased the depth of the cavity cut away at the sides for spring block and increased the cavity towards the back edge (the allen bolts used to loosen off the string blocks were catching on the body work) and then dropped in an edge.
There are no markers or holes cut for the mounting studs so be careful where these are drilled. You have to measure back from nut to saddle to mark these out.

I think they are selling now for £28 and £35 for body and neck respectively.
Id say thats cheap. You really do get what you pay for, but with some time and especially patience, a decent enough copy can be put together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
I have often wondered about them as they seem to good to be true.

Liggy, say that you would you use them for a "high-end" custom, or just a cheap copy instrument.

I suppose if the quality control on their necks is not 100% you would want to know what you are doing before you buy.
I have inlayed vines / pyramids into these necks for various customs and they looked great but at the end of the day they are a £35 neck.
I am currently building a Universe 777BK 6 string for a guy and i have finished two necks to go on it (1 x Wizard ll and 1 x Woody). They both look the part but the Woody feels and looks totally different to the ibanez.
Ive tried em, bolted on to body but not set them up as yet, but i know ill use the wizard neck for the end product.

IMO If you can afford to buy the quality items to put a 'high-end' custom together, then id suggest buying a high-quality neck.

Last edited by Liggy; 01-26-2006 at 08:41 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 04:54 AM

I forgot to mention....

The lock nut area at the top of neck requires a little work to get the toplok to fit correctly. The Woody fingerboard justs stops to allow for nut, whereas ibanez have allowed for it by cutting into the finger board on their necks.

Thought that might help.

Keep cool!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM

i new they didnt look quite right
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 04:44 AM

Ive just had at look at this **** shop.
That jem copy does look rather good, obviously it has a standard locking trem and probably cheap generic alnicos but would it be worth getting one of these with the possibilty of fitting some dimarzios and maybe even a re route ror an edge ?

Looks like w1605 frets too, this would be the most important thing for me because I hate jumbos.

Yes I know its a cheap chinese fake but if it could be had for 100 odd quid then surely its not that bad a buy ? I would dearly love a nice brand new jem 7v with 1605 frets, edge pro etc but I cannot see me ever having the money.

Opinions ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 06:55 AM

Get a cheap RG550 had have Liggy put a claw and monkey grip in it. (That's if Liggy doesn't mind )

Tags
body shape , cavity cover , finger board , lock nut , monkey grip , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in