Wrapping up leads - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Wrapping up leads

Does anyone out there know the correct and best way of wrapping leads up such as jack leads and microphone cables? I usually just wind them around my elbow and cable tie them. Someone told me this will damage the leads and I don't want to have to replace them all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:26 PM

Re: Wrapping up leads

I've been told that the correct way to do it is to take the two ends and put them to together and then take the two newly formed ends and put them together and repeat however many times depending on the length of the cable and then tying them in a knot. I could be wrong.
Galen.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2005, 01:54 PM

Wrap them carefully, while letting the tangle fall out on their own. I do wrap them around my elbow, but, I make sure that I don't pull them tight. I think that the reason why they say not to wrap around your elbow is because most people probably don't bother with twists and tangles. They just force them into a coil. Doing this can break the cable.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 AM

Reviews: 7

I always sort of slowly turn the cables as I loop them in my hands. I don't remember where, but I heard that you supposed to turn them slightly as you wrap them, because the core wiring is done in a spiral. You shouldn't have to guess which way they are supposed to be turned, you should feel the cable pulling more in one direction as you wrap it, whether it be clockwise or counter.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 06:36 AM

its dead easy not to brake leads. a new lead (whether boght or home made) has a sort of natural 'shape' to it. ie if you hold one end and let it fall, it will find the position where least strain is placed on the cable. so however you wrap it up, just let it 'find' its natural curveature and tightness of wrap itself. i wrap mine around my elbow and hand, but i do it slowly and freely, letting the cable coil itself, not forcing it. and never grip them by the jacks. grip them by the cable behind the jack when coiling, and by the jack only when removing from a piece of equipment.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemm012
I've been told that the correct way to do it is to take the two ends and put them to together and then take the two newly formed ends and put them together and repeat however many times depending on the length of the cable and then tying them in a knot. I could be wrong.
Galen.
I always do that. I thought everyone did this, hence this thread and the posts surprise me.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsorovan
I always do that. I thought everyone did this, hence this thread and the posts surprise me.
The problem with this method is that it is too easy to overtighten a lead and break or stress part of the cable.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 06:02 PM

dont overtighted then so that they get stressed is all that i think about when i wrap them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode