Yet another Clear Coat question... - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Yet another Clear Coat question...

I did some searching and found that this topic seems to come up a lot but i haven't found an answer to my question.

I have a JS1000 that was recently signed by Satch and i would like to get it a clear coat put on it. I talked to a local luthier and he wasn't sure what type of clear to put on it. Any one know what type of clear needs to be used here? I don't know anything about clear coats so any help about what to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:30 PM

Re: Yet another Clear Coat question...

Most Ibanez models have a polyurethane finish. Whatever will stick should work fine but you might also consider a piece of clear plastic like that sold for protecting headlights and car hoods. That's why I had Vai sign the trem cover for my JEM; I took it off and have it framed with the show bill and autographs from most of the G3 players on the 2001 tour.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM

it would also be advisable to test if pos, say in the re cavity write something with the same pen as this may have a reaction to the poly or the 3 combined. Stranger things have happened. best of luck
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:44 PM

The right way to do it would be to spray it with polyurethane ( the very toxic two-part kind, not the junk in the hardware store ), then buff and polish it back out again. But that would be cost-prohibitive for a signature. I wouldn't suggest lacquer over poly ... but if you try that you will have to be VERY careful with the first dry coats because the lacquer will dissolve the ink in the signature.

But at least the resale value will go back up when the signature rubs off ...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips, i'll look into the polyurethane.

As far as the resale value goes...i'm not really worried about that as i don't plan on selling it (i haven't sold any of my guitars over the years).

Tags
clear coat , ibanez models , local luthier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode