Yngwie Malmsteen - YM Humbucker? - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen - YM Humbucker?

Hey Hey everyone, I'm just wondering. I play a lot of Yngwie Malmsteen and Randy Rhoads. What kind of pick ups can I stick in my guitar (2 hums) to have a YM or RR sound?

P.S. this is a 22 fret guitar so no worries about the YM neck pickup 24 fret harmonic thingy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 07:35 PM

Yngwie Malmsteen

Well, if I remember correctly, Randy used DiMarzio Super Distortions. Yngwie uses a DiMarzio YJM in the bridge, and DiMarzio HS-3s in the neck and middle postion.

I could be wrong though.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen

I know that YM uses those....but those are singles my friend....I would like to find a nice humbucker that sounds close to that model pickup....
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 01:45 AM

Yngwie Malmsteen

I'm not sure, but I though the YJMs were stacked buckers. It would be interesting to pop one of those into the middle position of a JEM...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen

yes it would....from the charts on Dimarzio. The YM pick-up and the Paf Pro are exactly the same but the Paf Pro is down 1 noth on all the specs....so it's got the same EQ cruve.....perhaps that'll work good in the neck.....and also the Evo Neck has the same EQ shape as the HS-3 perhaps that'd be a good Bridge Pickup.....
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 03:26 AM

Yngwie Malmsteen

Quote:
Quote: from rsvampire on 1:47 am on July 25, 2001
yes it would....from the charts on Dimarzio. The YM pick-up and the Paf Pro are exactly the same but the Paf Pro is down 1 noth on all the specs....so it's got the same EQ cruve.....perhaps that'll work good in the neck.....and also the Evo Neck has the same EQ shape as the HS-3 perhaps that'd be a good Bridge Pickup.....
True but the Paf Pro has 8.40k DC Resistance and the YJM has 23.50k which tells me you would sacrific a lot of volume for a tone that isn't quite the same.....
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen

Well I'm lookin for a nich crunchy bridge pickup (like yngwies) and a nice smooth neck pickup (like yngwies)....I think the evo's or breed's might be a good choice....I think evo's might be a little harsh.....how would the breed's or evo's stack with that kinda sound? a nice crunchy bridge sound and a nice sweet smooooooth neck pickup? I'm sorry if I'm such a bother.......I'm just doing my homework cause I'm building a guitar right now and I want it to sound nice and good so I don't build it and go "well that sounds just like doggy doo on a stick!" any help is very much apreciated
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 10:26 PM
lwi

Yngwie Malmsteen

ehhh.. there is something you have to realize that whatever the 'specs', single coils don't sound like humbuckers. *You can't get the 'quack' of a single coil with a hum.

That being said, there have been attempts at reproducing the sound of a single coil: im talking about the dimarzio 'humbucker from hell'... I've never heard it in person, but that is what it is supposed to do. *Any ways there are soundclips there http://www.dimarzio.com/audio/audio.html.

Either that or you can split the coils of any humbucker, and you get strat-like tone, but with ear-drum ravaging noize and 60-cycle hum.

BUT! when I noodle with Yngwie tunes, I like to use the middle (single coil) p/u... it's quacky crunchiness is good enough to emulate his rythm tone. *It does a decent lead tone as well. *If it's not too late, you might want to consider adding one to your project

The bottom line is this: aside from oddities like the dimarzio hfh, you can't get the tones you want from hums. *Yngwie tone = single coils. *I hope I didn't poopoo on your dreams, but hey, I once wanted (and still do) the exact same thing, and never found it.

Lwi

(Edited by lwi at 5:27 pm on July 25, 2001)
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen

hahahahhahaahah......alright....no you didn't.....but you can help me with 1 more thing if you guys arent' all questioned out. If I want a nice good.... crunchy rythem tone and a nice smooth neck pickup would the evo's or breed's be nice? I've tried both....and seem to be leaning a little more toward the breeds since they aren't as high output and aren't as bright as the evo's... ARE YOU EXPERIANCED with these pickups?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 11:45 PM
rgr

Yngwie Malmsteen

The Breeds are nice, smooth sounding pups, you still might want to try the PAF Pros. *Or maybe a Breed Bridge and a PAF Pro neck, I wouldn't rule out a Humbucker from Hell in the neck either with the tone you are trying to achieve. *Buy a set and if it doesn't do it for you use DiMarzio's 21 day exchange program. *

BTW, I saw YJM live last year and his "tone" was shrill and painful. *

-R
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2001, 03:03 PM

Yngwie Malmsteen

stick some 2meg pots on some x2n's and you sound nice and shrill just like YNG.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Yngwie Malmsteen

alrighty. Breeds sound like an option...and so do evo's. I'm not sure...I think I might go with evos....and if they aren't smooth enought on the neck or bridge...I'll go with Breeds...thank god for their 21 day exchange program....thanks...and btw...I don't like his "shrillish" tone...I'm just going for his crunch and smooth neck stuff....
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2001, 08:38 PM

Yngwie Malmsteen

I have a Super Distortion in the bridge of my Strat (also 22-fret, although that doesn't matter) and I think it sounds great. *I think you'd probably like it for that kind of stuff.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2001, 03:18 PM

Yngwie Malmsteen

This topic's probably dead by now, but I thought I'd chip in as I also love to play endless cheesy harmonic minor Yngwie shred but favor Ibanez guitars, the best of which are all loaded with humbuckers.

Rather than any of my Jems, I found an S540 LTD with 'QM' pickups gave me the most 'Yngwie' sound I'd ever gotten from hums, especially the neck pup.

I've got Evos, Breeds and PAFs and I feel these would all be a mistake if a Malmsteen sound is your goal. *The QMs are strong enough so that you don't need to add all that extra gain YJM does to his single coils between the guitar and the amp, but they have that woody hollowed sound that makes neo classical shred runs sound like bubbles coming to the surface of water. *Yumm.

Graeme

Tags
breed bridge , bridge pickup , dimarzio super distortion , fret guitar , ibanez guitars , meg pot , neck pickup , neck pup , paf pro , paf pro neck , paf pros , pro neck , randy rhoads , super distortion , yngwie malmsteen , yngwie tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode