Yngwie style string gauges in standard tuning on wizard necks - Jemsite
Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods Guitar workbench discussion such as setup, repairs, mods, installing new parts and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 2
Yngwie style string gauges in standard tuning on wizard necks

Hey there guys, I have an RG with a bona fide wizard one neck. I love the guitar however I want a greater deal of tension on the low e string. So far I have a 9-46 set of elixir nano-web strings on there in standard tuning which have served me generally very well.

What I wanted to know was if there was any danger in increasing the ratio difference across the fretboard? i.e. I want to try a set which is something like 8-48/50...... basically a Yngwie type set. I know he tunes a half step down which is the reason for the thicker top string but for picking I am gravitating to wanting that low e just a tad stiffer against the pick (with the top strings mega thin for the usual reasons).

Would putting this gauge of strings on my neck (in standard tuning), being as thin as it is:

1. Twist it because of the spread of force change across the fretboard?
2. The difference across the strings would average out and the neck would be fine?

And my last question, if putting this gauge of strings on the guitar is fine then does anybody know a manufacturer who does this gauge of strings with an elixir style coating? (I am just so used to the bright sound, slippery feel and convenience of them that I am reluctant to move back to a "normal" type of string)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 12:22 PM

Reviews: 3
Re: Yngwie style string gauges in standard tuning on wizard necks

i think your neck would be fine. even on a standard set of strings, not all the strings are at the same tension, not to mention if you have a floyd and increasing tension, then removing most of the tension. i think you're good to go. not sure of any custom string manufacturing companies like the one your looking for. good luck
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 04:08 PM

when it comes to neck quality - maple neck one those strats is probably the worst you can get on an expensive guitar. It's notorious for twisting because it's a single piece. If it can take those strings, ibanez will take it for sure.
Cheers
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-02-2011, 05:47 PM

Reviews: 120

I've played 10-52 in standard with no problems. You should be fine.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:35 AM

I know a guy that has been running 11s on his RG for years, and the neck is fine.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 AM

I have 11-52 on my 350 dx, didn't even have to adjust the truss rod, let alone bending
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys, I am really looking forward to trying out the new gauge set. Any ideas which company does that gauge range with an anti-rust coating?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 01:55 PM

You can buy single strings from here:
http://www.juststrings.com/elixirgui...lestrings.html

I'd buy a 6 string set that best fits what you need and buy the high or low e separate.

EDIT:
http://www.juststrings.com/ebl-3125.html

Last edited by xXLinkageXx; 07-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBZshredder View Post
I have 11-52 on my 350 dx, didn't even have to adjust the truss rod, let alone bending
11-52 on a 350DX?!? Are you using that 350DX to play Jazz standards or something

I find the 9's on my 350DX tight enough. For Jazz, I use either D'addario Chrome 12's, or the George Benson Thomastik-Infeld Flatwound 12's (on a GB10 and GB200) if I'm in a mood to order online.

Last edited by TheTranslator; 07-03-2011 at 02:26 PM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 03:21 PM

Reviews: 11

thank god for the mighty truss rod....
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTranslator View Post
11-52 on a 350DX?!? Are you using that 350DX to play Jazz standards or something

I find the 9's on my 350DX tight enough. For Jazz, I use either D'addario Chrome 12's, or the George Benson Thomastik-Infeld Flatwound 12's (on a GB10 and GB200) if I'm in a mood to order online.
i guess i should have said i tune down a whole step on that one
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Hey there, just a progress update concerning the strings. I bought a set of Yngwie Malmsteen 8-48 strings and loved the feel. However the tone was very flat in comparison to Exlixir strings I had used before and they were worn out, dead and black in a matter of an hour or so (thanks to the uber corrosive oils on my skin!). One last note on the Dean Markley strings, when I first put them on I already noticed spots on the strings where they had already begun to oxidise........ (the strings are discontinued and are either NOS or the strings were manufactured improperly?)

I took the kind people's advice here and bought a set of "coated" slinkys (8-3 added an elixir .49 to the bottom and used the .38 as the A string. So far so good with the response, feel and tone. The sound is already head and shoulders above the Dean Markley strings i.e. bigger, brighter and punchier. However there are differences in the technique used to coat the Slinkys and Elixirs and they have different tonal characteristics.

Because tone is subjective I will try to compare the sound with numerical estimations (which doesn't really help because it is still subjective to my opinion...... any ways!)

Brightness
DM: 1/5
EBS: 3.5/5
E: 4/5

Mid Punch
DM: 2.5/5
EBS: 4/5
Elixir: 4/5

Top End
DM: 2/5
EBS: 4/5
E: 5/5

Summary:
As far as I could tell the Dean Markleys were an average string in an unusual gauge, my experiences with plain D'Addarios are much better (however the rest of Dean Markley's line could be amazing, they have a large variety of electric guitar string "technologies" on their website)
In regards to the Ernie Ball coated slinkys vs. Elixirs in durability, that is still to be found out. The sound of the Elixir strings could last me months, what would have me change them was the period of time causing intonation going out. Both coated strings are very punchy however the Ernie Balls under the finger tips feel like a normal string because of the different way in which they are "coated". The only deciding factor so far is their top end, I think the Elixirs have more and therefore have a better chance of cutting through the mix in a band. On the other side, the top end of the Ernie Balls is smoother and having them on a guitar with a 15mm maple top and a Bill Lawrence L500XL in the bridge is more pleasing to my ear.
Unless the Ernie Ball's wear out pretty quickly then I think I have created the ultimate set!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 10:14 PM

I remember reading somewhere that the Dean Markley Yngwie set had the best gradual tension and gauge increase across all the strings sets. I've been using elixir light nano's for years now and my S470 has had no problems with them.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 11:53 PM

Glad to hear it's working out for ya. Let us know how the coated slinky's hold up. Non-coated strings have always treated me well on my main axe, but I also don't mind changing them every month or two. I'd like to try the coated strings on my guitars that only get changed maybe once or twice a year.

Tags
yngwie gauge wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode